F1

Silly Season 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 494 total)
  • Author
    Meander
    Participant

Plus, well, you never know. A driver starting out as a pay-driver might end up surprising us. Perez was bashed for being a pay-driver.

jackie
    Participant

It’s a interesting picture/fact. Why? Only one driver from generation 2000 driving today. Jenson Button. Other interesting fact is there’s no more drivers from the ’90-s driving today in F1.

http://i15.servimg.com/u/f15/16/50/55/33/200010.jpg

Sorry if it’s off topic but i can’t find good topic to post it this post.

Ryan Williams
    Participant

Bruno Senna (who was apparently linked to the Force India drive) is now officially out of the running for the remaining F1 seats after announcing he will partner Frédéric Makowiecki in an Aston Martin in the GTE Pro class of the World Endurance Championship

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant
    Sandlefish
    Participant

From Marussia’s Twitter feed:

@Marussia_F1Team: We start today with the Official confirmation that we’re welcoming Luiz Razia back to our Team as Race Driver http://t.co/mJyzPJte

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys:

If that fake Twitter caption of Di Resta was reported like this: “Could one of the significant others be Bruno Senna, the former HRT and Williams driver? According to one rumour, Scot di Resta has confided to some that his teammate this year will be the well sponsored Brazilian.”, then I don’t know what to say about Kobayashi…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@tony031r – Just because the author of that article got the wrong information on the Senna source, that doesn’t automatically mean he got the information on Koabayshi wrong. Especially since Senna was speculated as being a contender for the Force India seat before the fake Tweet.

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys:

It doesn’t mean it’s not true but it doesn’t help his credentials either. I don’t have a problem with the fact that he might have gotten the information wrong (it’s the internet, that happens to everyone at some point). I have a problem with the way he chose to wrap that false information up and deliver it further. The “confided to some” part is a bit out of place there since we’re talking about a fake tweet and nothing more than that.

Plus, there’s absolutely nothing to suggest Kobayashi is anywhere near Force India’s shortlist. It makes as much sense / takes as much effort as linking Kovalainen or Petrov or whoever else to that seat.

Nick
    Participant

Plus, there’s absolutely nothing to suggest Kobayashi is anywhere near Force India’s shortlist. It makes as much sense / takes as much effort as linking Kovalainen or Petrov or whoever else to that seat.

Not to play the devil’s advocate, but drivers have been signed to teams they weren’t linked to during the silly season before. Granted, usually that goes for backmarkers, but I’m not too sure about Force India being a very financially stable outfit right now (personal opinion). Kobayashi might be interesting as he has some money and has shown in his two seasons with Perez he’s no joke. Of course, Japanese companies aren’t lining up to sponsor him due to their economy, but he is a popular driver who might help polish their name in Asia. Kovalainen has no sponsors and Petrov couldn’t out-bid van der Garde, probably because his sponsors were retreating. I’m not sure how seriously Kobayashi is rumored to join FI, but we’ve seen drivers do 180s on their position in F1 before.

It’s a interesting picture/fact. Why? Only one driver from generation 2000 driving today. Jenson Button. Other interesting fact is there’s no more drivers from the ’90-s driving today in F1.

I was thinking about this the other day, I have a lot of F1 magazines dated between 1998 and 2003 and I remember they universally panned Button prior to his first Grand Prix even. It’s odd for me to think that rookie, who was much too young for F1, etc, is now the most experienced guy on the grid.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

There is no reason for this at all.
    But, I’d like to see Force India do a U-turn and give Rossiter the seat.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

James Allen is reporting one of the most interesting rumours in years:

Nick
    Participant

Well now.. We do know there have been rumors of McLaren developing its own engine sometime in the future, ever since Mercedes sold their shares back and if I remember correctly there were also rumors of them buying an existing engine manufacturer as well, or at least that’s what a lot of speculation said. Cosworth might offer them a lot of experience and engines for their road cars, while McLaren has a lot of money for R&D. I say, it could be a very good deal for both of them, but I’d like to see the rumor get some more traction before I’d think too much of it.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yeah, I feel the same way. It seem far too late for McLaren to be acquiring Cosworth with a view to developing engines for 2014, particularly since there has been no word from Cosworth on their 2014 plans (though if McLaren are indeed purchasing them, then they would understandably remain quiet). It’s a definite wait-and-see scenario, but I just found it to be a very interesting rumour.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant
    Kingshark
    Participant

Oh… snap.

I normally do not participate in this pay driver debate all too often, but here I go;

What a bizarre sport this has become.

Imagine if the crappiest athlete was allowed to compete in the Olympics, because s/he had the money.
    Imagine if the worst football player was allowed to play in the FIFA World Cup, because s/he had the money.
    Imagine if the most useless Tennis player was allowed to participate in Wimbledon, because s/he had the money.
    Imagine if the slowest cyclist was allowed to bike in Tour de France, because s/he had the money.

There would be an outrage. People would even refuse to call it a sport anymore.

Only in Formula 1, the one “sport” where money talks and big cash is chosen over raw talent and abilities.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 494 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.