F1

Silly season: 2014 F1 driver market

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 851 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@meander – It’s more likely that Marussia submitted the paperwork for their drivers before Caterham did. After all, the entry list was published with Chilton’s name on it, so we know he had been with the team for some time before that, whereas Caterham are still deciding on their drivers.

Matthijs
    Participant

Maybe Caterham are waiting for Grosjean and Maldonado to become available…

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Interesting developments. Remember that 2014 is basically wiping the slate clean as far as driving is concerned. So, quick adapters are prized. Frijns winning 3 titles in 3 years, and in his second GP2 weekend a race win, clearly indicate he is this. So, they’ll see how he develops with the testing days for free, as his input may benefit the other drivers as well. Ericsson is also a quick adapter, despite his GP2 experience (very unlucky last year), and dominated his first season in cars in Formula BMW UK, with the panache of someone like Vettel, before winning Japanese F3. This is the kid remember, who, as a nine year old, “walked in off the street and almost broke the lap record”, at a rental karting place owned by an ex-racer in Sweden. His family had to be told to get him into karting. There, Kenny Brack picked him up after seeing ‘he was clearly the best’. Kobayashi is a Eurocup Formula Renault champion, and brings enough cash to satisfy the team alongside his experience. Sounds like Ericsson’s b2b opportunities have secured him the role ahead of VDG’s personal business connections and cash.

Caterham thus have two shots to beat Marussia basically, Kobayashi and Ericsson versus Bianchi. Chilton might be a factor if all the cars are pushed past the limit and into retirement and thus his is still running at the finish. Apart from that, it depends on the cars as to who gets to keep the £20m extra for not finishing last in the WCC next year.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

An announcement from Caterham seems imminent. More and more stories are being run on their choices. Pretty much all of them agree that Kobayashi will be in one seat, with the second going to Ericsson or van der Garde, depending on who you talk to.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

It’s intriguing.. one moment it’s Ericsson’s b2b opportunies that Tony wants to take, the other it’s that VDG has pulled out 15m Euro to beat Ericsson’s 13m Euro, and that Bernie has cajoled Kobayashi into the other seat with only 9m Euro as it benefits him to have a Japanese driver… But Frijns in the third with 6m has also come on strong (along with his new management).

Rossi might have the GP2 seat at least.. but does this mean that Chilton is still bringing more than these guys, even without Aon? Surely any of them with their money is a better package than what Chilton can bring (unless he can beat 15m Euros of course).

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Somehiw, I don’t fancy van der Garde’s chances. He’s only got two million more than Ericsson, and doesn’t have the B2B connections. And while he had the odd good result last year, I think the prevailing attitude at Caterham is that they made a mistake with their drivers, and at the very least, that contributed to the loss of tenth place to Marussia. I think van der Garde will have a tough time convincing them to keep him, especially since he existed st the fringes for years after winning a title and making several failed attempts to get onto the grid. Like Charles Pic, he fits the definition of a pay driver coming from family money.

wsrgo
    Participant

family money

Future in-laws a part of the family? Hmm..I guess so..:D

Nick
    Participant

I really wonder if anyone (cough, judge13, cough) has told Robin Frijns he has a budget of 6 million to do some FP1s. The Dutch media is really trying to sell this Kobayashi-VDG-Frijns line up as if it were the second coming of Christ, and we’re a pretty secular nation.

Then again, the Dutch media went crazy over ‘double Dutch’ at Minardi in 2005 as well. Despite scoring no points after the USGP. And folding. And Albers being a poor driver and person. And Robert Doornbos being mediocre.

Force Maikel
    Participant

@wsrgo He got married in December. So he’s now officially the son in-law, in my book that counts as family, for the rest I agree with @prisoner-monkeys.

Van Der Garde hasn’t had the easiest road to F1 and his first year in our beloved sport has been quite disappointing, he had nice moments but there were too many mistakes. Clashing with Webber and Hulkenberg in Canada while being lapped comes to mind for instance.

Maybe he deserves another year in the sport just to be sure but I won’t miss him if he gets bumped out.

wsrgo
    Participant

@force-maikel Ah yeah, forgotten that little piece of info :D

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The reason why I dislike drivers like van der Garde and Pic and Chilton is because that money comes from the family. Money has never been an issue because it has always been there. But if you look at other pay drivers, they have had to work to get that money. They have needed to get results to show potential sponsors that supporting them is a good idea. But that is not the case with these family-money drivers. They don’t need the results to get the money, so they don’t need to work as hard. Maybe it’s all academic, but I cannot help shape the perception that van der Garde and Pic and Chilton are there because their families paid to make their dreams reality, a reality they were not necessarily entitled to in the first place, and a reality that came at the expense of someone else’s dream. Look at James Calado, who could probably run circles around them: if circumstances were different, he could have been born into a family with money. But he wasn’t, and so he misses out to someone less talented by sheer virtue of the fact that they were born into wealth.

Deej92
    Participant

I completely agree with that comment. That’s also why I don’t criticise pay-drivers who have had to earn the backing. The likes of Telmex and PDVSA aren’t going to pump millions into no-hopers. The likes of Perez, Maldonado, and Gutierrez are good drivers who have done impressive things through their careers. The likes of Chilton and van der Garde, well, I just echo what PM said.

As Force Maikel, van der Garde did make mistakes when being lapped. Pic was also a pit of a pain in the neck when being lapped on occasions, especially later on in the season, and he received multiple reprimands for ignoring red lights if memory serves. Ultimately, the weaker driver line-up probably cost them 10th.

I never thought I’d like to see Kobayashi back on the grid as I thought he was a bit of a spent force in F1, but for Caterham it is quite nice to see. I don’t expect to see him in a midfield team again unless he gets manufacturer or major sponsorship backing in the future, but he could help bring Caterham closer to the midfield, which Pic or van der Garde perhaps wouldn’t have been able to do. Ericsson can benefit from Kobayashi’s experience, and with the sum he brings as well as the B2B opportunities, it’s quite a logical appointment for a team like Caterham.

Lars
    Participant

VDG first had sponsorship from Telfort a local telecom provider. His manager en his performance confinced this company to put some money en effort in this driver as World Champion Karting!

He made some poor choices in his carreer! First Jos Verstappen told him not to go to the Formula Renault championship (where he became best Rookie) but go to the German F3 instead. Back then de Formula Renault was not as good as now a days. He choose to drive Formula Renault and the support off Jos Verstappen came to a end.
    Telfort got his back, in the meantime Giedo took notice off the daughter of the owner off Telfort and they fell in love. How Romantic!!! His performance (not as poor as some off you want to believe concidering the material he had over the years) still confinced Marcel Boekhoorn to keep supporting him. After selling Telfort the sponsorship came from an other compagny McGregor. A company not only supporting Giedo, but a lot off diverend Dutch drivers as Tom Coronel and Stijn Schothorst as well.

Giedo won the WSR3.5 title with a very strong performance in 2008. He knows what it takes to win races and titles. His GP2 years where not as bad as they seem! His first year he had some good races, podium finishes and wins. His second year with Barwa he had a couple off technical faillures that throw him back a little as some stupid mistakes from the team as well (leaving the grid to late so he got a drivethrough while driving in a solid position). His second year at Barwa he was in the lead off the championship, and Bianchi taking him out at Barcelona and Monaco made him drop back in second in the standings! He hold that position troughout the season untill the very last race at Monza. At race one he avoided a accidant by cutting the corner, there was no other option. There for he got a drive through, wich means in Monza that you have no chance at all to gain some points. The second race he drove very solid from the end off the grid up to P12. But with the competition all scoring points he lost his second place in the championship. When Bianchi did not take him out several times a simmular accidant at Spa where someone else drove him off in race 1, without the stupid drivethrough at Monza he would be second quit easy that year. (being only his third season GP2)

He is a solid driver, not the same material as Vettel, Hamilton, Rosberg, Hülkenberg, Alonso and Raikkonen. But all the others are no better or worse then van der Garde!

Off course drivers like Frijns and Hïlkenberg would be prevered on the grid! But there are only a few with that kind of talent!

Giedo is a pay driver, supported by people that believe in his talent instead of taking care off Family. Marcel Boekhoorn became a billionaire by good investements not by throwing his money away!

Lars
    Participant

@Deej92
    The bad performing car in the begining off 2013 cost them P10 in the End. When you look when the P13 was scored by Bianchi it was in those first races! The drivers hadn’t anything to do with that!

Heikki drove that car aswell and commented that it was nowere near the car off 2012. It was a disaster to drive. In all his trainings he didn’t once outperform vd Garde and Pic by seconds. It was a few tenths in favour of one or the other. Both drivers vd Garde as Pic are matched to Heikki so not as bad as you would suspect!
    And when you look to the differences between teammates. Bianchi vs Chilton, Vettel vs Webber, Alonso vs Massa, Hülkenberg vs Guiterez. Then you will see that both drivers where allways within a few tenths off a second a part, where all the others where further a part. So that means they are driving the car on his limmits where others should improve to keep up with their teammates.

When Pic, vd Garde, Kovalainen and Rossi all driving the same laptimes with that car, that is as fast as it goes. Don’t you think so?

Ofcourse vd Garde made some mistakes, but he was a rookie wasn’t he? He has to learn throughout the year and he did! He is the only driver at Lotus/Caterham to get in to Q2, and he did it twice in one single year. And qualifying is the only chance for the team to show something. Because during the races there will be no DNF’s or just one or two. Van der Garde did what Kovalainen, Trulli, Petrov and second year Pic couldn’t do!

I really think all off you giving drivers like Pic and van der Garde to little respect.

Pic has Renault backing and that is the reason he is driving at Caterham and on his way to Lotus this year. See the interview with his manager Panis earlier!
    van der Garde has backing from Telfort/McGregor throughout his career, long before Marcel Boekhoorn became his father in law or he had even a relationship with the daughter of Marcel Boekhoorn. Boekhoorn is confinced of his talent. Otherwise he wouldn’t back him up for F1 but sportscars!

And some of you think that Kobayashi, Maldonado, Petrov, Guiterez and Perez are drivers that confinced their sponsors and therefor are better drivers? What tittles did they all win and how well did they perform?
    If you say they are better drivers, you’re far from objective!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If it takes a driver five years to get into Formula 1 from when he won a major title that meant he qualified for a superlicence, then he has no business being in Formula 1. Especially when he almost won the GP2 title on his third attempt; generally speaking, if you cannot win it in two, your chances are not looking good. It is no coincidence that Force India, Williams and Spyker all turned him down. It is unlikely that he would be in Formula 1 were it not for the family money.

As for Kobayashi, Maldonado and Gutierrez, they all won GP2 and GP3 titles. Petrov and Perez were runner-up the year before they moved to Formula 1.

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 851 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.