F1

The F1 theme, the trailer and the composer

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

This is a fascinating watch for several reasons: seeing how the new theme works when used properly, an insight into how F1’s owners regard the sport they bought just over a year ago, and to learn a bit more about the composer of the theme – about whom I knew nothing before:

I felt indifferent towards the theme at first but it works really well here. And Tyler is clearly a genuinely passionate fan – I love his enthusiasm.

How F1 is presented here is interesting and perhaps a little controversial. All the elements of the spectacle are there but I can’t help but wonder if the lingering shot of Senna rounding Tamburello in 1994, framed within his eye which then closes, really belongs in something which otherwise appears to be about celebrating the sport. I’d be interested to hear what you think of that, and the rest of the video.

Fabien Gaillard
    Participant

On the Senna shot, I have to admit it was the first thing I noticed when I saw it. Apparently, it came from a “F1 highlights” clip from 2010 FIA Gala (like a lot of footages in this video / EDIT : here it is https://vimeo.com/17987125).

In my view, this kind of thing is not a big problem : after all, it’s also what F1 is, an addition of sport, human emotions, risks, pain, joy and, yes, tradegy. We see all that range of emotions in the video. But yeah, it could be seen as a bit inappropriate shot but in a way, it is F1 history too.

Is it really relevant in this clip ? I would understand some people may not agree with me on this.

glynh
    Participant

I laughed at the theme at first, thinking it was over the top but it worked really well there.

I liked the montage to, it was a great selection of clips that bring back memories and anything with Murray Walker in is a bonus for me.

MrBoerns
    Participant

I actually Feel the hakkinen bit was worse. At least the Senna clip was handled somewhat ‘artistically’ and with some reverence. But the Mika bit was just directly showcasing a man being gravely injured as, basically, promotion of their product. Ouch.

Fer no.65
    Participant

I still don’t like it… specially that engine noise thingy.

Fer no.65
    Participant

That 2010 Gala clip is awesome, such a wonderful season that one, and you cannot miss it if you chose ace of spades for the tense meltdown between monza and abu dhabi that year!

skydiverian
    Participant

I’m reminded of the NFL theme music for Fox and CBS, each use their own track but both very heavy on the brass fanfare that this uses (and NBC’s take isn’t too far away either). I therefore don’t think it’s suitable – not sure what I’d go with but it’s too Americanised for my liking.

kwacky1
    Participant

I am indifferent to the theme, it’s just a theme, and they can do whatever they want. But I did find myself humming it after the Chinese GP!

Scottie
    Participant

I find the new melody doesn’t tie in well with the process of starting a race, and the action during it.

I’m downright frustrated by it as the drivers and teams celebrate after the cars park at the end of a race. Just let me hear the roar of the driver, team and crowd at the end of the race! I also find it doesn’t really catch your attention just before the start of the race. After you’ve had 30-odd mins of build up it seems just like another segment is loading. The last quick tune being short and sharp really helped me switch to race action mode 5 mins before the start.

One 3 min song isn’t going to include the type of sounds we need to hear at the various stages of a grand prix, and the new tune is spoiling the action for me.

Phylyp
    Participant

With respect to the clip that plays at the start of a session in the TV broadcast:

The theme music makes me laugh. The music seems a bit … pompous … to my ears. I do like the video showing the drivers, that’s a nice touch.

I also feel that the duration is a tad too long, but that might just be my impatience at wanting to get into the meat of a session.

More grating is during the broadcast, they put in some whooshing sounds at the start and end of a replay (and maybe other events).

Scottie
    Participant

Well firstly, sorry for digging up such an old thread…

Secondly, I’m treating myself to some humble pie honestly. I caught myself humming the tune the other day!
    That’s not to say I adore it, but I like how F1 have integrated it into the broadcast now.

Even the five lights beeps are thoughtfully applied now.

Well done F1.

Alianora La Canta
    Participant

The theme music works for me in the intro sequence, or as a separate track on my music player… …and only then. I don’t like how the rest of it gets shoehorned into places where it doesn’t fit – especially when it’s played on the polesitter’s/winner’s arrival into parc ferme. Often, these are pieces that simply shouldn’t have background music, to my ears.

This is why, in the beginning, I wanted to know how the song sounded in context before making judgement. As a theme tune, it works. As the catch-all background noise to F1, it doesn’t.

Those five beeps break immersion into the start sequence for me, and I’d prefer they weren’t there. I get that the modern F1 sound is all about Soundblaster 16 impressions, but I don’t want to be reminded just before what is often the best part of the race.

Bruce
    Participant

I kind of feel there’s too much of crash and burns, that happens, but I don’t think it’s essential part of F1.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.