F1

Vettel’s consistencey is everyone’s demise

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andre Furtado
    Participant

Has anyone actually calculated the last 4 years points based on a constant rival for Vettel? I did notice that he is always consistently up there, but his rivals are always trading who ends up on the last 2 steps of the podium.

David-A
    Participant

I guess Alonso. He’s taken the most podiums aside from Vettel (10, 10, 13, 8), finished 2nd to Vettel twice (like to be a third time this year), and has the joint second highest number of wins in that time (11, with Hamilton).

Andre Furtado
    Participant

I guess the point I forgot to make was that, Vettel isn’t as fast as people think he was (not sure how he pulled this weekends margins), he is definitely a more consistent driver I think when it comes to adapting the car to each circuit as well as the tires.

mnmracer
    Participant

The first post gave me some hope. The third post made it clear it’s another sour grapes thread. Just the thing the internet didn’t have enough of.

In an attempt to save this though, let me ask you: how fast do you think people think he is?

Asanator
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

@mnmracer
    +1 here as well.

I suppose I’ll give my answer, though: I think that somepeople think that Vettel was driving an F1 car while his rivals were driving a Fiat Panda 500 (OK, a bit less dramatic that that, but you get my point :) ).

Anonymous
    Inactive

In all fairness, the Red Bull has also been the most consistent in terms of performance, first half of 2012 aside.

infernojim
    Participant

I thought the question was quite interesting comment on whether vettel has been helped by having many rivals stealing points from each other when he’s not been winning. The answer to that is definitely yes though open to debate. Comment 3 unfortunately led me to think the op’s intention wasn’t as interesting as I had thought. Shame

magon4
    Participant

Anyway…
    Red Bull’s strength is not the car alone. It is really a team effort. Great strategy (rarely get it wrong), great pit stops (same thing), and two very fast drivers. I mean, Webber is fast, he has always been.

When Schumacher had his 7 in a row, his car was way superior to others. Vettel’s is maybe 0.2s per lap faster, on average.

What is true though is that the close field has really helped Vettel. Since so many cars can win or score good points, every little mistake in strategy or even pit stops is punished. I mean, Hamilton has a few issues and ends up in 7th. In other times, the second best car would still have a good shot of getting that podium spot. So the close field does play a big role in Vettel’s success. Because of his consistency in pace, he leaves the others fighting for the remaining points.
    Sometimes, Webber wins that fight for second. Most of the time, he doesn’t.
    Which shows you that it is actually Vettel who is the deciding factor.
    I actually calculated grid lap times from the whole year of 2011, when Vettel dominated. And in truth, that year the McLaren was on par with the Red Bull, with Button, Hamilton and Webber completely tied in what they were able to do pace wise. Only Vettel stood out.

15 1-2 finishes in 4 seasons (70+ races) is not dominant at all. Formula 1 has trully seen other days. It is Vettel really doing a better job that has made the difference. Fernando Alonso has been quite effective in putting it all to the car, sometimes to a level of even disrespecting the Vettel, the driver (his remarks after Brazil 2012 were distasteful, to say the very least), but the truth is that Vettel puts a lot of work into the whole thing, and it is his brains and dedication that make his talent stand out.

Kingshark
    Participant

@mnmracer

In an attempt to save this though, let me ask you: how fast do you think people think he is?

Faster than Webber, Boudrais, and Liuzzi.

In all seriousness, he is probably the fastest qualifier out there, very closely followed by Hamilton and then Rosberg.

Kingshark
    Participant

@magon4

When Schumacher had his 7 in a row, his car was way superior to others. Vettel’s is maybe 0.2s per lap faster, on average.

That is simply not true.

Vettel had an absolutely dominant/untouchable car in Singapore, Japan, India, and today in Abu Dhabi. The only times Red Bull wasn’t totally dominant was in Spa, Monza, and Korea.

Schumacher had a dominant car in Nurburgring, France, USA, and Hungary. Ferrari were far from dominant in Canada, Silverstone or Hockenheim.

Red Bull in the 2nd half of 2013 have been at least as dominant as Ferrari were in the 1st half of 2004.

Red Bull’s strength is not the car alone. It is really a team effort. Great strategy (rarely get it wrong), great pit stops (same thing), and two very fast drivers. I mean, Webber is fast, he has always been.

Webber used to be fast, I would not call him anything but fast these days. In 2013 Mark Webber is regularly beaten by drivers in slower cars.

Simply because Webber was fast back in 2006-2010 does not mean that he is fast in 2013. Similarly, just because Massa was fast in 2006-2009 does not mean that he is fast in 2013 either.

Webber has driven very poorly this season, Mark’s enjoyed a dominant car since the summer break, yet he is only 5th in the championship. Though in all fairness, his luck has been abysmal.

Nathan
    Participant

Is it fair to compare RBR’s 2013 car and campaign to Ferrari’s 2004 car and campaign, and/or RBR’s 2011 car and campaign to Ferraris 2002 campaign and car…, folks???

I mean, there are many many of parallels (between 2013/2011 vs 2004/2002). Your opinion? :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.