F1

Was Webber aiming for Hamilton?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    damonsmedley
    Participant

if you watch the footage closly webber has a left rear puncture

It wasn’t just a puncture, he had damaged his left-rear suspension, so the wheel was only just hanging there actually. With both front wheels off the ground, there wasn’t much he could have done. And when you are in a crash, I doubt anyone would be sly enough to think of a strategy for rolling across the track in 1 second. He didn’t actually have his hand on the steering wheel for fear he could have been collected, which may have broken his wrists or hands. To be honest, if it were me in that situation, I would have closed my eyes and prayed: “Please don’t hit me, please don’t hit me, oh no he is going to hit me, here it comes – bang!” I certainly wouldn’t be smart or quick enough to plot the trajectory of my stricken and out-of-control car in such a way that it endangered oncoming championship rivals. Sorry, but I would be too busy trying to save the car, and my life.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I always remember Martin Brundle saying of those situations “You should always aim for where the car is, not where it is going.” to avoid the crashing car. Alonso managed to, whereas Rosberg kept on aiming for that apex, and ended up with no room.

I doubt Webber was aiming for anyone, but Rosberg certainly aimed for the wrong place.

George
    Participant

When I saw it at the time it looked a bit strange, I get the feeling he was just trying to get his car off the track though, rather than just stopping on the racing line.

Ads21
    Participant

Another ex-Formula 1 driver, Gerhard Berger, who drove for both Ferrari and McLaren, has accused Mark Webber of trying to take out his title rivals during the race in Korea.

In an interview with Austrian TV, Berger said: “He took out Rosberg, but it was the wrong one. I think in his mind he would have preferred Alonso or Hamilton.” Asked to clarify whether he thinks Webber’s move was deliberate, Berger added: “Yes, I think that’s very clear.”

From the BBC F1 gossip colum. I think he’s talking sh*te though

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was going to post something about this too. I read on the BBC pages quotes from Gerhard Berger:

‘Another ex-Formula 1 driver, Gerhard Berger, who drove for both Ferrari and McLaren, has accused Mark Webber of trying to take out his title rivals during the race in Korea.

In an interview with Austrian TV, Berger said: “He took out Rosberg, but it was the wrong one. I think in his mind he would have preferred Alonso or Hamilton.” Asked to clarify whether he thinks Webber’s move was deliberate, Berger added: “Yes, I think that’s very clear.” ‘

I have to say, even before reading some of the posts in here that this is ridiculous. Why would Webber try and take out an opponent when, at the time, he was heading for 18 points?! He might have subsequently thought it would have helped if he’d collected Alonso or Hamilton, but certainly not during the race!!

wasiF1
    Participant

I do rate Webber highly but I don’t think that he will do something that stupid.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

I agree with Berger that he was aiming for one of them. Maybe it was Alonso, but Fernando was too close to ever be collected and i think he thought that if he couldnt get one he may as well elimate Lewis and wasnt aware Rosberg had passed. I dont think Webber’s intial crash was on purpose, but once he realised he was going out, he wanted to take someone with him.

Fer no.65
    Participant

had he braked, with just 3 wheels on a dirty wet track, i’d have been almost the same..

the fact that corner is blind explains why Rosberg couldn’t avoid him.

Todfod
    Participant

@Fer no.65.

Take a look at this link

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/245938/berger-webber-was-trying-to-take-out-alonso-or-hamilton/

The more and more I see the onboard footage, and other footage of the car. I am convinced that Mark Webber took his feet off the brakes. His impact wasn’t nearly strong enough to shatter all 4 brakes. You see him slowing down to avoid the wall, and as soon as he made contact with the wall, he lifted off the brakes and steered on to the track. I had a little bit of respect for Webber before this race, now I have absolutely none.

Girts
    Participant

I think that you can find a lot of similar examples where F1 drivers crash and cannot stop the car immediately after crashing into a wall. It can obviously have different reasons like angle, speed, impact of crash on the car etc. I think the driver is often just a passenger and cannot do much to avoid other cars after crashing into a wall. Barrichello in Monaco GP 2010 also did not stop immediately but I am sure that there are better examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPG2c_VbpM

Berger was most probably just making fun, he has a strange sense of humour.

Hare
    Participant

Macro-Evolution is a lie. Webber could well of aimed his car at Rosberg out of frustration. I’ve done this myself when go-karting. I know, it’s not the same. But I caused a pileup because I wanted to impede others. It was a momentary thought, and I wouldn’t do it again (maybe).. but it’s totally plausible!

As for ‘He couldn’t see who was going by’. He looking back down the track, of course he can see.

So my opinion is, if it was me, I can see myself doing exactly that, even if it’s a dumb thing to do, given a few seconds thought. Queue cries of.. ‘You’re not an F1 racing driver with millions of pounds worth of car and lightning fast reactions with microseconds thought processes’.

I love disagreeing with the majority. :)

Enigma
    Participant

What about Hamilton? Was he aiming for Rikkonen in Montreal 2008? He had probably realied that the crash is inevitable, so maybe he rather aimed for Rikkonen, who was the championship contender.

Mark Hitchcock
    Participant

Isn’t all this incredibly libellous?

Icthyes
    Participant

People do realise that the road there inclines to the left and that it was wet, don’t they?

I did love Legard’s unintentional pun though, ‘that could have a massive impact on the championship’.

Red Andy
    Participant

Macro-Evolution is a lie.

Ok, I’ll bite.

Evidence or GTFO.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.