F1

What Grand Prix is cheapest?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

This year I’m looking to go to a Grand Prix for the first time. Does anyone know what would be the cheapest package, plus some other info?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where about are you traveling from?

It probably used to be Malaysia but that is off the calendar now for a few years until it will come back as a night race. Vietnam will have a race in the next year or two and that most likely will be a cheaper option compared to some others, but if you are going this year that’s no good to you.

Monaco and Singapore are probably the two most expensive so if trying to do it on the cheap avoid these.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@garns
    Thanks for the reply. I’m traveling from Ireland, ome adult and one child.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@vettelfan17
    Are you looking to stay in Europe or happy to head further?

Silverstone is obviously your closest option. I haven’t been but heard there isn’t too much around in terms of accommodation and many people camp out. If keeping costs down this is a good option. Maybe some of the UK F1F’s that have been can jump in here.

Belgium would be another close option and many camp there as well. As for the next on my ‘to do’ list this would be it.

In Europe I have only been to Spain & Monaco. Spain was great and I thought tickets were pretty well priced. If you stay in Barcelona the track isn’t really easy for access, at least what we found, it could have been a language barrier, but we ended up getting a taxi each day which was around 40 min from downtown and expensive. You can stay closer to the circuit but there didn’t seem to be too much to do.

As I said Monaco was expensive as a place to stay and eat & drink but ticket prices for grandstands seemed ok (we went hospitality but checked out all options). Many people stay in Nice and get the train in each day, its not far, 20 min maybe. We stayed in Monaco in a private apartment we got through HomeAway (also on Air ANB) so there are cheaper options there. Any hotels in Monaco and very expensive during that time. You can find cheaper places here to eat if you look around – as far a prices go Sydney & London are more expensive than Monaco.

Outside of our home race I have been to 5 overseas races. I find the majority of the cost is made up in flights and accommodation rather than the race itself. Of course you can go General Admission or Paddock Club, but if looking to save costs look at these two things first. Accommodation varies a lot between countries. We stayed in Singapore and it was through the roof, then you cross the border into Malaysia and stayed where most of the drivers do and its probably 25-30% of the cost of the Singapore equivalent.

Germany or Austria are close options for you as well, but I have not looked at these so not sure on pricing.

I hope that helps, if you have any other questions of the above I am happy to help. Anywhere you go will be awesome anyway :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

@garns
    Belgium sounds like a good track to go to. If I was to go camping, would it simply be that I got transport to the circuit, went to the camping site and put up a tent? I wouldn’t need any other accommodation would I? Thanks again!

Caroline Miles
    Participant

Monza is the cheapest race we have been to for ticket prices followed believe it or not by Abu Dhabi. It is the travel and hotel costs that ramp the prices up so for Monza if you are happy to camp that is a way to keep the costs down. Tickets for Monaco are expensive irrespective of which option you go with and accommodation in Nice increases to reflect the fact people are staying for the GP. Spa is probably overall cheapest as you could drive (although I presume you would need to get the ferry and then drive down to catch the train or ferry) and then camp at the circuit.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@caroline12
    Thanks for the reply. How expensive would accommodation be in Spa?

Anonymous
    Inactive

And also how expensive is it for Monza?

Caroline Miles
    Participant

You tend to find the area closest to the circuit is booked up so need to stay outside Soa and travel in from surrounding areas if you wa t to stay in a hotel. I think Liege may be slightly cheaper or just over the border but you still have to travel in which is the downside. May be worth looking at a package with Select, Thomas Cook etc who will include your transfers so re over the hassle.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anonymous
    Inactive

Finding a good spot now might be tough at Spa though. If I was you I’d go to Silverstone. Bronze for Spa is way too expensive compared to other countries.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@flatsix
    By good spot, do you mean a good seat in the stands or?

@garns

Malaysia but that is off the calendar now for a few years until it will come back as a night race.

Today I learned.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is Malaysia coming back?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@davidnotcoulthard
    Maybe I am getting ahead of myself but I thought they putting together plans for a twilight/night race for Sepang? I hope they do, its a great circuit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.