F1

Who will be the eighth winner?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Force Maikel
    Participant

2012 what a year it has been already. Some races were thrillers, some were boring. We have seen 7 diffrent men take the top step on the podium. With Valencia comming up the F1 community is hoping to add an eight name to the list but we all know the track tends to trow boring races at us. The 2012 formula could change this thanks to the Pirelli ruber and the other features provided to the drivers.

Personnaly for me it has to Schumi. He needs to break the spell and get on with, while Valencia could fit the Mercedes nicly (long straights + Merc DRS!) it tends to be hot in Spain and we all know what happens to the WO3 when its hot. They deny it but we all know its true.

So who are you cheering on the become number eight? Massa? Raikonnen? Grosjean? …?

jonnyw360f1
    Participant

and we all know what happens to the WO3 when its hot

What’s that? Mercedes have had their best result (Rosberg’s win in China) at a cooler track. At the start of the season they had problems with overheating their tyres. So what do you mean?

Force Maikel
    Participant

I’ve noticed that when its hot the mercedes doesn’t seem to be able to perform like they did in China. Take Spain, bahrain or Canada. The car seemed fast enough in practice and quali yet in the race they didn’t seem to make much of and impact an they tended to pit earlier, wich leads to the obvius conclusion.

raymondu999
    Participant

@force-maikel Can we rename this thread to “Who will be the eighth winner?” I think it would catch more interest from other users, and we can make more of a discussion.

I personally think Valencia will break the trend and see a repeat winner. I’m not saying that we’ll only have 7 winners through the year, but I’m saying we won’t see the 8th in Valencia. The 8th, I think, would be Grosjean. Maybe at Silverstone.

Optimaximal
    Participant

I also don’t think we’ll have an 8th ‘yet’.

4 of the 7 winners this year are so far ahead of the rest of the field that it seems likely that it’ll be one of them. Of the other winners, Button has issues at the moment that probably won’t be sorted by the weekend, Rosberg (and by extension, Schumacher) probably won’t get another shot until the cooler races of the year & Maldonaldo was a lucky fluke at best as the car seemed to just ‘work’ at Barcelona, but has been woefully off the pace at the two street circuits since, ergo Valencia will also be a dire weekend.

The Lotus may be in with a shot, but Raikonnen is falling off his own cliff with steering issues, so it’s a one-car team at the moment. The Saubers seem to be destined to be ‘also rans’ without their competitors falling away due to strategy mistakes or tyre-wear, something I doubt will be repeated straight after what happened in Canada.

raymondu999
    Participant

@optimaximal I disagree. The Williams was on the pace in Monaco.

I agree with most of your other sayings though.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The Williams was on the pace in Monaco.

The drivers weren’t.

Maldonado’s victory in Spain was a result of everything coming together in perfect harmony. I think that is something the team needs to repeat if they want to win again this year.

raymondu999
    Participant

@Prisoner-monkeys that’s what I’m saying. The drivers threw away what should’ve been a fantastic car for Monaco.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

And that’s a surprise to you?

It’s not the first time they’ve done it this year.

raymondu999
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys please read the context in which my original post was made.

And that’s a surprise to you?

No.

In case you are still for whatever reason unable to understand, here’s a blow-by-blow translation: Optimaximal said that the Williams was only a fluke, as it was only on the pace in Barcelona. I replied, saying that no this is not true. The car was ALSO on the pace in Monaco.

Force Maikel
    Participant

@raymondu999
    fixed topic title

Kingshark
    Participant

Maldonado’s victory in Spain was a result of everything coming together in perfect harmony. I think that is something the team needs to repeat if they want to win again this year.

that’s what I’m saying. The drivers threw away what should’ve been a fantastic car for Monaco.

At least Maldonado has speed, but he’s reckless on occasions. Senna is slow and crash-happy. Bottas is going to replace him next year, or maybe even sooner. Remember when Frank Williams said that they were going to give Bottas 15 practice sessions to get to know the car first, and then let him have a drive, while meantime let a more experienced driver have the car? Senna is that driver, but he’s definitely not staying there. I can’t see Williams keep Senna unless Maldonado gets a promotion to a top team; but despite his win at Spain, I can’t see it happening, he’s still too erratic. Let the mistakes iron out of him first.

To reply to this topic, my bet is on Grosjean to win in Valencia. He knows the circuit well and Lotus excel in hot conditions.

Estesark
    Participant

I’m noticing a pattern on these forums:

Who will be the eighth winner? (this thread)
    Who will be the first repeat winner?
    Next new winner?
    Related: Next new champion?

Although they all ask different questions, they’re all fairly similar, in that they require members to predict – or, basically, guess – the next something or other. I’m not sure what to do with them, really. I suppose I’ll leave them open, but (this goes for everyone), don’t be afraid to post in an existing topic if your question is connected, even if it’s not exactly the same. For example, if we get an eighth different winner this weekend, we won’t really need a topic called “Ninth winner?”. The conversation can carry on here and the thread can be renamed if necessary.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.