F1

Will Hamilton ever leave McLaren?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Chippie
    Participant

Not any time soon, Hamilton would only want to go to a team he could win the championship with, and that means he only has 5 short term prospects (6 if you count Lotus ;P), all of whom have their drivers lined up for the next few years. Long term… I could see him with Ferrari or Mercedes, or even if Lotus/Williams pick up their form somehow. However, I reckon he’ll be at McLaren for 5 or 6 years at least, especially seeing as he and Button seem to have made a sensational pairing. Never Red Bull though, can you imagine him working with Horner or Vettel?

Metrium
    Participant

After 7 years with ‘the Brackley team’ in its various guises I didn’t expect to see Button move.

Never say never.

TommyB
    Participant

I’d love to see Lewis at Ferrari. I imagine a lot of people wouldn’t though.

But yes I can see Hamilton staying with McLaren for his whole career.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I reckon he’ll stay at with the Woking team for his whole career. He’s been there since forever, he’s very ‘McLaren’. He talks the McLaren talk and walks the McLaren walk.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I’d love to see Lewis at Ferrari. I imagine a lot of people wouldn’t though”

It just seems alien to me. It’s not that I dislike Lewis that as I think he seems a genuinely nice guyb it’s just for me, he is so Mclaren. He’s the Mclaren man more than even Senna was (perhaps Hakkinen beats him a little) so the concept of him in a Ferrari just seems…odd. It would be like watching Massa in a Mclaren. It just doesn’t seem like the right fit to me but because of that I probably would be fascinated if he did go to Maranello.

sw6569
    Participant

Had this question been asked pre Melbourne 2009 i’d have said no. However, I think that race changed things. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him move.

However

At the moment, with McLaren being a top team, there is little point in him moving. My fear for Hamilton though is that he stays with McLaren and does a Kimi while he was there – threaten the title each year but never winning. I know that Hamilton has won one title, but his talent (and Kimi’s) deserve more

TommyB
    Participant

Agree Steph. I could never see him leaving McLaren either. I know the Tifosi said they feared Lewis the moest. Would be good to see him there but never will happen.

US_Peter
    Participant

I could imagine him moving to Red Bull once Vettel moves to another team. It would be fascinating to see them as team mates though. I think Ferrari would probably be the least likely team to see him move to. Given that he could stick around for another 10-15 years I think it’s pretty unlikely that he’ll stay at McLaren for his entire career.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Me and my housemate have discussed this before. He’s more part of the furniture than that thing with 4 wheels he drives.

You can tell he has devotion to McLaren..but on the other hand he has skill and no one could hold it against him if the glory days left McLaren.

Hare
    Participant

I think he could drive a shopping trolly faster than some of the drivers can drive an F1 car. He can either go ‘up’ to Ferrari, or ‘down’ to Renault.. for some reason, I can’t see him in a Red Bull.. Although they do like bumping in to other cars as well, so perhaps that is an option. ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sw6569 I hundred per cent agree with you

“Had this question been asked pre Melbourne 2009 i’d have said no. However, I think that race changed things. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him move.”

I agree. I think he lost a little faith in them then.

TommyB
    Participant

Melbourne 2009 and also Turkey 2010 although not as extreme.

VettelS

The only other teams he would consider are Ferrari and Mercedes. I don’t see him ever driving for Ferrari, even if he was offered it, but I think in a few years when Mercedes are up to standard, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him move there.

Calum
    Participant

Only Ferrari are guarenteed to produce good cars year after year – in the last decade they produced one bad car – if he wants more titles he will have to go as Alonso’s post retirement replacement at Maranello. I hope to see this happening in 4 or 5 years time.

TrueF1Grit

Hamilton at Ferrari? I wouldn’t be too surprised if there’s a deep down contract somewhere, after all, a little “You may never leave a Mercedes engined car/Mclaren car” when your 11 it isn’t going to stop you signing with a top Formula 1 team

I agree with VettelS’s point about Mercedes, but if Mclaren keep giving him these race winning cars, unless they slump a lot, he’s got a good career set with this team.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.