F1

Will the 2009 single diffuser and KERS cars have the advantage in 2011?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Todfod
    Participant

The return of KERS and the banning of double diffusers are amongst the biggest changes to be implemented next year. Additionally, the big game changer are the new Pirelli tyres. Looks like all the teams are going to have their hands full in testing, by first getting to know the tyres, the new diffuser, as well as KERS and adjustable rear wings. I cant help but think that teams such as Mclaren and Ferrari, who were originally single diffuser cars that developed their own KERS system, will have and a significant advantage of using the data they accumulated from the 2009 season.

We all know Mercedes stopped their development to focus on the 2011 car, but will they make up any strides? Or will they languish in 4th place again? What do you guys think?

Scribe
    Participant

I think the RB5 showed itself to be easily the most effective single diffuser car last year. An the adding of KERS is going to be a lot easier this year as well, with the special 1 year rules to prevent major respends + the higher minimum weight and massive fuel tanks.

Mercedes is the sort of thing none of us can know till they get out on track. As for that matter Ferrari and McLaren, will they sucsefully evolve their concepts and start competing with Redbull? Or will Redbull remain a step ahead with a new concept or further evolution of the RB5 concept, or will they all go down a new path, resulting in a new order, how good will Renault be? Can’t know till we’ve had a few dry races.

Todfod
    Participant

A lot of this depends on the sharing of information on KERS. I still dont know if Mercedes will have access to all the information gathered by Mclaren in 2009 regarding the KERS unit, or whether even Renault will share all their data with Red Bull. I still think Red Bull will be the strongest team at the beginning of next yaer.. but definitely will not dominate like they did this season. Mercedes will be the trump card.. cant wait to see how competitive they will be.

Icthyes
    Participant

I don’t think they will. I was reading an article about the McLaren MP4-12C and it diverted a bit into F1 and it was mentioned that something like 95% of a F1 car changes over a whole year. The teams will therefore have very little relevant data.

I’m actually thinking that Red Bull will be at a disadvantage. The Renault KERS wasn’t tested that much or very effective, plus the RB6 was built around the EBDDD (how’s that for an acronym?); having a EBSDD won’t yield as much laptime and all the teams are likely to have it in the fundamental design of their car, that’s if the concept survives or is even possible.

US_Peter
    Participant

But the RB5 was also originally based around a single diffuser, and as Scribe said, was easily the fastest of the single diffuser cars (and that was without KERS), so I think it’s entirely possible for them to still have a slight edge over McLaren and Ferrari with the basic design of the car for next year. As Todfod says, Mercedes will the be wildcard, and I for one can’t wait to see how they all arrive in Bahrain in 10 weeks time.

Icthyes
    Participant

Yes but like I said, the early 2009 data will be so relatively worthless there’ll be no edge. Having Newey will be far more significant since the cars are effectively revolutions rather than evolutions and we know how Newey loves a new set of rules.

I reckon hispania have gone and baught the designs off an ex team for their 2011 car. Because HRT probably have less than 100 employees, I can’t see a design team being there. They wouldnt go far wrong to buy the designs for the early 2009 BMW and then get Geoff willis to re-jig it for 2011 with a bigger fuel tank and a adjustable rear wing.

just occured to me that BMW Sauber are still in f1, in the form of sauber, ignore the previous comment.

Catalina
    Participant

I do think Mclaren will have a massive advantage with the KERS. But who does RedBull KERS? Renault or RedBull Enginering?

Calum
    Participant

Who does the Mclaren KERS? 50-50 between Mclaren Hydraulic and the Mercedes Benz unit from 2009… unless it’s been anounced.

Ferrari will have been working hard to catch up with the MB unit – who knows which will be best. I can’t wait til the big team launches!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.