F1

Will you ever give up on F1?

• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Fun.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    trigger
    Participant

After reading on sky sports only 14 cars may start the 2015 season I was wondering when will people give up on F1. DRS has always been a big problem for me but as we were seeing some good races I have let it slide. But with the current state of F1 and so many teams in trouble i was wondering when people will give up . 3 car teams to me seem like a plaster on an open wound and will only work if 2 or 3 teams have equally good cars, otherwise its going to be DULL. Im tired of Bernie and starting to get tired of F1, im praying something changes soon or I can only see F1 dying

Anonymous
    Inactive

F1 is really trying my patience. The sport earns a fortune from TV rights, race fees and trackside advertising. Hundreds of millions of people watch it. Countries are desperate to stage races.

But no-one wants to enter teams. Those that do go bankrupt trying. And those that stick with it are being threatened to expand to three-car teams as a ‘papering over the cracks’ exercise.

Bernie has turned the sport into something rotten. Yes it’s professional and profitable. But for what end, whose advantage?
    Shove off Bernie, you’re a relic and someone new needs to come in and fix the mess you made.

Todd
    Participant

I’ll just say that I watched 16-17 races last year. This year, I’ve only watched 1.5-ish. Its not the racing turning me off either. Its the off the track shenanigans that makes me not want to support it.

Nick
    Participant

F1 kind of phased out of my life when I was 16 and it didn’t really recapture me until I was 20. At that time, we were losing Jordan, Minardi, Mosley was constantly in the news in a negative light, the entire Spy-gate thing happenend and frankly it didn’t impact me as much because it didn’t really have a place in my life at the time.

But ever since late 2010 I’ve been more of a fan than before (not just rooting for 1 driver did that for me) and frankly the annoyances are turning into nails in the coffin of F1 as a hobby.

Frankly, I can’t name a place or event that would shut the lid on F1 for me, but I never imagined myself boycotting a race (as I did with Russia) nor that I’d ever find someone to be more delusional about the future of the sport than Ferrari around 2004 until 2006. Now it’s half of what’s left of the damn teams!

The most worrying thing is, is how the entire sport is in a phase that can’t logically exist in the lifespan of businesses. It’s still ran by an entrepeneur (Bernie) but intensely profitable (at which point in time, typically the reigns are handed over to people who are better at managing and the entrepeneur is more of a figurehead). If Bernie were to be taken away from his position, we have no idea what the FOM and CVC might do to keep current deals in place, improve things for fans/competitors and most frightening of all; who is going in his place.

Frankly, being an F1 fans feels like working for a company that is about to go under; you know the end is coming, but when?

glynh
    Participant

Unless something big changes in F1 I can’t see myself not watching. I’ve watched bits of it since I was very young (22 now) and stared following properly in, I think, 2006. It has it’s problems like most sports but his year has seen some of the best races that I’ve ever watched which is what it’s about to me and hopefully that will continue.

I would obviously like some things changed with prize money (personally I would give 10% of the top teams budget to the bottom team), double points and putting the races on free to air tv but it’s the cars, drivers and tracks that I watch it for and they seem pretty good right now.

JackySteeg
    Participant

My world has pretty much revolved around F1 during the second half of my life, I can’t see myself ever giving up on it, but I almost wish I could. It almost feels like I’m a doting spouse taking care of my partner as they descend into alcoholism or something. I just love them too much to give up on them, and I still hope that someday they will get clean, sort out their money problems and scrap DRS.

@HoHum
    Participant

If this gets resolved by making F1 a cut-price virtual 1 design series to allow Bernies successors to continue to take vast amounts of money out of the sport then I’m gone !

hutch
    Participant

I don’t think I could ever give it up in protest. Most likely I would just lose interest and stop following.

I’ve previously been a diehard fan of CART racing and the WRC, but when TV coverage disappeared, some stars and top teams left, and local events stopped, I just didn’t seek it out anymore.

We are living in a world where attention is a limited resource, and there are plenty more things I could give my attention to if F1 ever becomes a chore.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Two races with 18 cars in them; you really notice now how empty that grid is, even more acutely than the 20 car grids we had five years ago.

Why isn’t Bernie knocking on the doors of big business, trying to get captains of industry interesting in investing in teams? Why isn’t he visiting the world’s richest people, the world’s biggest conglomerates, investment funds, financial traders, etc, trying to get them to sniff around this exciting, high-tech global sport?

Instead, he’s getting cosy with the likes of Vladimir Putin and a bunch of unnamed random sheikhs.

Ronald Yeo
    Participant

I am very new to this forum – in fact, this is my very first post.

I am in my late 20s, i am not sure if i am part of Gen Y or not, but I have been following F1 since 2009 since it came to Singapore. In any case, I used to follow football leagues, we have a local football league, where I live, but when the number of teams in the league started getting reduced to funding problems, and then I gradually lost interest.

I really don’t know if I would keep watching if there were fewer teams or a 2-tier championship (5 teams for constructors and 5 teams for non-manufactuers), but the problem is with so many things happening, it seemed to be totally about money than really pushing the limits of technology and driver’s ability.

I was born long after the 1970s, but I find that era of F1 and the 1980s to be more exciting. Nearly all of people of my age, that i know of, would rather follow the WTA, the Olympics and soccer such as EPL and UEFA – or play Apps. To them, F1 simply does not register on their minds. As someone from the Asia-Pacific region, it is pretty frustrating to have no one to discuss motorsports with. it dosn’t help that in my country, cars are very expensive to own (I have virtually no hope of ever owning a car). Thus, unlike me (I got my interest in F1 after hearing the V10 engine roaring down marina Bay circuit), usually, anyone whom has an interest in motorsports is likely to own a car and have a very different lifestyle and social class to mine.

I do not know if fans are gradually losing interest in F1, but I am pretty sure that F1 is really not capturing enough interest from the millennials or gen Y in sufficient quantity – there is bound to be some, but it is not widespread. There are simply too many things grabbing for attention.

Will F1 continue for the next 10 years? sure! But what happens beyond 10 years down the road, when viewer ship rates drop and sponsorship money dries up? if there is one thing I am sure about businesses, it’s that cash flow is a necessary survival requirement.

F1 would probbaly prosper for the next 10 years or so and I will follow it but beyond that, I really can’t say.

Dan
    Participant

I agree as once there was a time when I would watch every lap of every session (or at least as much as I could), but now I am finding it increasingly difficult to maintain interest during a race i.e. I can just do something else at the same time with the race on in the back ground. As its been mentioned a lot recently across the media but the gap between the “have” of the F1 world and the “have not” is not closing its just getting bigger. Correct me if I am wrong but the last time a team unexpectedly won a race was in 2008 (Vettle driving for Toro Rosso at Monza, unless you count the 2012 Spanish grand prix), something needs to be done to get the Wow factor back. Bernie contribution to the sport cant be overstated but its time to get someone new in charge with new and different ideas

Colossal Squid
    Participant

I don’t see myself ever giving up on F1. I’ve been watching since the 90’s, and even the seasons where I wasn’t particularly interested I still watched almost every race. These days I watch each race religiously, watch qualifying, every free practice when I can, I watch GP2 and GP3…it’s almost like a compulsion or addiction to me at this stage. I don’t see how I’ll ever stop no matter what happens.

What terrifies me is that I can see Formula 1 ceasing to exist at some point in the future. The way it’s set up is so different to other sports that it is a really possibility that it’ll one day die. You can’t see the FA Premier League or Champions League or soccer as a whole dying. Same with rugby, tennis, athletics, cycling…name any other sport and whatever happens barring the complete collapse of civilisation it’ll be around in some form. But F1 could disappear. The sport might eat itself and implode. Look at all its ills: Teams collapsing, engine disputes, DRS, gimmicky tyres, double points, constant political infighting and disputes, fickle manufacturer teams manipulating how the sport is run, exorbitant ticket prices, pay tv needed to watch it, spiralling costs, lack of sponsorship and falling viewing figures worldwide.

On this site we’re F1Fanatics and I often read how people are becoming disillusioned with the sport. Look at the comments above me to see immediate proof of that. If us ‘hardcore’ fans are being turned off the sport then it’s a fair bet to say that the casual viewers are even more apathetic towards F1 these days. If the support isn’t there then our sport with all its history, heroics, stories and beauty may one day be gone.

Ronald Yeo
    Participant

What other series for open-wheel racing would you watch, if F1 implodes? IndyCar? Formula Renault? International Formula Masters?

To be fair, BE has done an amazing job from a business perspective, with TV broadcasting rights, the bringing in of corporate sponsors and turning it into an sort of “elitist” event with the paddock club; all this has allowed F1 to thrive and prosper.

Just look at Champ Car, A1GP, and the current state of AutoGP – running an open-wheel racing series is not easy.

toiago
    Participant

@ronyeo – If F1 were to implode, I guess I would switch entirely not to other open-wheel series (never been a fan of Indy Car, occasionaly I watch supporting categories to F1), but to the WEC.

The championship just keeps getting better every season! New manufacturers joining, a decent calendar, including, of course, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, amazing drivers, paddock and atmosphere.

Ronald Yeo
    Participant

I would love to follow WEC; I love LeMans and its application to real-life road-going technology but the races are somewhat long for TV viewers: average of 6 hours

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.