Formula E

Di Grassi suspicious about Fanboost voting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

A couple of interesting posts from Lucas di Grassi on Twitter just now – he’s concerned the Fanboost voting might be rigged:

I ve been seeing the #fanboost on twitter and I ve realised there is NO CORRELATION between the hashtags and position on the leaderboard. I would really appreciate if any non-biased journalist would go into this #FanBoost votes “discrepancy” and come up with a good explanation.

I’ve got a stack of stuff to write this morning but if anyone out there who follows Formula E more closely could offer a view I’d be interested to see what you make of Di Grassi’s claims.

(Alternatively, do you think the whole thing is just a ploy to generate interest in Formula E before the first race of the 2015-16 season this weekend?)

toiago
    Participant

Well, it’s not only via twitter that one can vote. That can also be done in the Formula E site, so that can explain some of that discrepancies Di Grassi’s complaining about.

hunocsi
    Participant

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

There did seem to be some strange picks last year, but then again, as it’s not only just twitter, you need to rule out something like a strong web backing for a particular driver, e.g. perhaps Duran got the backing of a lot of Mexicans on the Formula E website.

Something similar happened here with Polish fans presumably spreading the word about voting for Kubica to win DOTW – Keith made it F1F account voting only to avoid these extraneous votes.

PorscheF1
    Participant

Sane for the ‘your favourite race of *track*’ that the F1 twitter account holds every race. There’s like 5-10 people actually responding and their video’s with Peter Windsor always act like there were thousands of votes.

I’d think it’s very likely the #Fanboost is rigged, although their rules do indicate the hasthag voting is not all there is to it.

As well as being able to vote via the Formula E website and app, fans will now be able to vote using a hashtag on Twitter and Instagram. FanBoost will only be available to the winning drivers on their second car following their mid-race car swap. Voting will be available through the official Formula E website and app and fans will be able to vote once a day through each of the available channels.

Maybe he needs to read the rules of the sport he’s in. More disturbing is people can vote more than once on several days…

Richard Shaw
    Participant

Despite Fanboost being a popularity contest that has no place in any sport. On line voting can be easily exploited with sock puppet twitter accounts etc. If the people of the Internet can vote for Taylor swift to sing at a school for the Deaf. Or call Mountain Dew’s new drink ‘Hitler Did nothing wrong’. These are some examples of how online polls can easily be exploited. In conclusion the problem with fanboost is not just the gimmick but also the potential inaccuracy of the polls

Strontium
    Participant

I believe it can be done on Instagram and online, but indeed one would expect some correlation, even if small, and I would have thought that the results across all methods would be similar, so it does seem very odd if this is the case.

Despite Fanboost being a popularity contest that has no place in any sport. On line voting can be easily exploited with sock puppet twitter accounts etc. The problem with fanboost is the potential inaccuracy of the polls

You are absolutely right, especially where it is completely public, like on twitter, where the FIA Formula E organisation cannot even control who is voting and how much. This really was a lack of thought.

bosyber
    Participant

With no visibility on who got how many votes from where, if the number of respondents is very low on twitter, or via all channels (?), then getting a real correlation might be difficult because it easily changed by just a few votes extra here or there, I’d think.

Does the FIA post a breakdown of the votes – that would help, also to know how popular the fanboost thing really is. Transparency. Guess not then.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Transparency would be good, but I can only imagine that if voting numbers are low for instance, they’ll be pilloried for keeping it going etc. so they are playing safe and the same effect might happen with numbers released on how many vote using the site (indirectly how many accounts there are etc.).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.