Formula E

Formula E Round 3: Punta del Este ePrix

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hunocsi
    Participant

The race is starting in two and a half hours and Jean-Eric Vergne put his Andretti car on pole without any former testing with this technology, mightily impressive. Piquet and Prost follow him on the grid, championship leader di Grassi starts from 6th. What do you think will happen in the race?

Here is a direct link to the official stream for anyone without television coverage, or there is an official app for Android and iOS which also works pretty well.

Not what I’d call a great race but with four Safety Car periods inside 31 laps it was certainly an eventful one. It was a pity Vergne’s car failed him when he was pushing Buemi hard for the lead, but I can’t say I was hoping he’d make a move stick using the wretched Fanboost.

This was definitely the most interesting track the cars have been on so far – narrow and slippery, albeit still with a few too many chicanes to make passing viable. The cars looked quicker within the narrower confines though. Still quite a lot of breakdowns for a one-make series, though.

They’ve clearly toned down the in-race music since the season opener, and that’s very welcome. Good to see them start using team radio as well, though it needs a bit of polish.

Highlights:

Carlitox
    Participant

It was bloody awesome. I spent all day sad because I couldn’t go, but judging from your opinion, it’s very likely they’ll return (and I’ll be there for sure this time!)

Broke84
    Participant

I’m enjoying this series a lot. It’s a shame for the break down of JEV, I really think he would have taken this. I don’t however like the number of times we’ve seen cars launched by these ridiculous kerbs.

Matthijs
    Participant

The series needs a lot of finetuning, but it sure has potential! I enjoyed the race.

Nic Morley
    Participant

I’m loving this series and it’s great that Formula E post race highlights on their you tube channel. I would like there to be more stability in drivers though, so many driver changes. I would like to see an improvement in the pit stops too, I get lost in all of it.

That race was great just like the two before but I was gutted to see Vergne breakdown in the end, although I was happy to see Buemi win. Buemi is my driver of choice in this series so I am hoping for a title!

hunocsi
    Participant

@robocat They don’t only have the highlights on Youtube but also full races on their website and official app. Hope it stays like this.

After his brilliant performance in Putrajaya I thought Bird could take the lead in the championship, but he was clumsy all Saturday, crashing in both qualifying and race. Vergne on the other hand was unbelievable and pretty much without a single mistake, putting the car on pole without any testing, only losing the lead at the start because he started on the dirty side of the track, then overtaking Piquet into the hairpin, then losing out to Buemi thanks to the Safety Car, and when he could have made the overtake his suspension broke without any contact (plus the Fanboost slowed his car down, sorry about that JEV on my part for voting)… That was gutting as a fan but also it was an incredibly encouraging performance by him – Andretti now knows how good a driver he is which should put him in a nice position to sign for their Indycar team.

For the rest of the field, Buemi drove very well and was a bit lucky that he successfully undercut Piquet in the pits, but probably could have gone past him as Piquet’s race pace didn’t seem to be as good as his qualifying pace. It would have been interesting to see what Heidfeld and Prost could have done without the penalties, but apart from the using too much energy it was a big mistake by Venturi to send Heidfeld out 4 seconds early.

All in all, it was another good race, so far I really like the series and hope the quality stays as it is – and hopefully (after the news that there are several manufacturers interested in the series for next year) there will be more cities showing an interest to organize races so the calendar is longer.

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

I was thrilled to see my old country in Uruguay host a major international event in Formula E, really starting to put our country on the map. :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.