Formula E

Video: Jarno Trulli drives Formula E car

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Here’s Jarno Trulli having his first run in the Formula E car – plus some thoughts on its sound:

andae23
    Participant

JARNOOOO!!!!!! :D

Regarding the sound: I dislike the over-focus on sound. It’s about the racing, surely?

@andae23 Yeah this feels a bit like they’re desperately trying to say “our cars don’t sound rubbish like those F1 cars do, honest…”

A few pictures from the test:

Jarno Trulli, Formula E, 2014

jodrell
    Participant

I don’t think they’re trying to say that…I just think they’re trying to say that they have a sound, some kind of character, a feeling that goes with the cars. And they’re bound to be playing on it a) because of the stupid focus on the sound of the new engines in F1 and b) because that’s always been a part of the proposition…they’d be able to run on inner city courses without breaking any noise restrictions.

Gotta, I really like the sound…kinda sounds like a jet going round the track at times :-D

ForzaAlanRabbit
    Participant

Nice to see Jarno back! :)

Force Maikel
    Participant

I like this and I can’t wait for the first race, of course what motorsport enthusiast doesn’t like the roar of a monstrous combustion engine but just like the F1 Turbo’s this has a very sophisticated feeling to it, as if this is really something high tech. The organisers however need to stop emphasising on the sound, yes there is some sort of response from the engine but it’s not going to light the world on fire and it’s not really what this series should be about.

Obviously this series focus should be about the driving and racing, make it about the technology and I’m sure the series could be successful. If you had told me ten years ago a race car powered by electric power could last an hour out on a racetrack I would have laughed at you.

GeeMac
    Participant

Obviously this series focus should be about the driving and racing, make it about the technology and I’m sure the series could be successful. If you had told me ten years ago a race car powered by electric power could last an hour out on a racetrack I would have laughed at you.

Couldn’t agree more with that @force-maikel. All of this emphasis on sound in F1 and now Formula E is getting a bit tiresome. Formula E is a good step for motorsport, it is an attempt to not only keep up with green technology but to lead it. Motorsport has always been and should always be a high speed research lab and that is what Formula E could be if managed properly.

The car actually looked quite good on track. After the initial shakedown footage we saw with I Grassi at the wheel I honestly feared the worst. The car looked really slow on track but now they have cranked it up to full power it looks good.

suffolk
    Participant

No mirrors. Is this to prevent Trulli becoming distracted by the train of cars behind him?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.