Formula 3.5 V8

FR3.5 all-time Greatest Grid

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

This is the last year of the FR3.5 championship as we know it. It may spin off into its own series. It may fold. But it won’t be Formula Renault 3.5 next year.

So I’m pitching the idea of a “Greatest Grid” – the 26 best drivers that ever raced in the series from 2005 to this 2015 season.

Champions (10)
    Robert Kubica, Alx Danielsson, Alvaro Parente, Giedo van der Garde, Bertrand Baguette, Mikhail Aleshin, Robert Wickens, Robin Frijns, Kevin Magnussen, and Carlos Sainz Jr. all earn automatic berths as champions of the past.

Red Bull Row (6)
    Dr. Helmut Marko’s involvement in FR3.5 began with Sebastian Vettel, who along with Jaime Alguersuari, Daniel Ricciardo, Jean-Eric Vergne, Antonio Felix da Costa, and Pierre Gasly all advance to the greatest grid along with Sainz.

Runners Up (6)
    Typically, nobody remembers who finished second, or third. However, Pastor Maldonado, Esteban Guerreri, the late Jules Bianchi, Sam Bird, Stoffel Vandoorne, and Roberto Merhi all excelled in the championship and beyond despite not winning the title and earn inclusion to the greatest grid on their merits.

Drivers of Distinction (4)
    Four drivers round out my selections for the FR3.5 Greatest Grid and are selected based on entirely subjective criteria. Will Power (2005), for his enduring success in North American open-wheel racing. Oliver Rowland (2014-15) and Matthieu Vaxiviere (2014-15), the principal title contenders in this, the final season of FR3.5 as we know it. Daniil Move (2007-13), for his longtime service in the category – a total of 107 race starts.

Would you make any changes to this grid?

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Nice! I’d swap Move for Charles Pic, who beat Alguersuari (as did Turvey), plus I’d be tempted to add Stoneman for coming back from cancer to finally race in the category and do well, maybe for Power or Danielsson (considering Maldonado lost that title on a technical infringement). De Vries is an option, as ‘rookie’ of this year, plus a double World Karting champion who might go on to good things, though Vaxiviere has been more impressive, like Power in America. Maybe Jaafar or Rossi for Aleshin?

PS. ‘Late Jules Bianchi’ still sounds strange :(.

@rjoconnell Without wishing to seem like a Russophobe I’d chuck Aleshin and Move for being too long in the tooth!

A big vote for Guerrieri from me, he was excellent but rather unlucky in 2010.

How about Borja Garcia? He led most of the 2006 series until the final double-header.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

I’m easily open to all these alternate suggestions. Admittedly, my in-depth knowledge of the series goes back to 2012 and past that it’s sketchy.

Retired
    Participant

Robert Kubica, Alx Danielsson, Alvaro Parente, Giedo van der Garde, Bertrand Baguette, Mikhail Aleshin, Robert Wickens, Robin Frijns, Kevin Magnussen, Carlos Sainz Jr, Sebastian Vettel, Jaime Alguersuari, Daniel Ricciardo, Jean-Eric Vergne, Antonio Felix da Costa, Pierre Gasly, Esteban Guerreri, Jules Bianchi, Sam Bird, Stoffel Vandoorne, Roberto Merhi, Oliver Rowland, Matthieu Vaxiviere, Charles Pic, Pastor Maldonado, Borja Garcia.

Enigma
    Participant

Nothing to add as I think OP’s grid seems good.

Just wanted to say how it still feels surreal to read something like this:

the late Jules Bianchi

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.