Going to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at Yas Marina

Going to the 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at Yas Marina

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

I think these YouTube links are rather useful to show what you see.

North and West Stand

South Stand Upper

Caroline Miles
    Participant

The majority of the South upper has been taken from around block 5 and seems to be from around the front row – it doesn’t really do justice to the view you get further along the grandstand and higher up – you see far more than that shown on the clip from that view point.

Tom
    Participant

Hi Caroline,

I’m a bit confused with your comment above, so its better to be in block 6 or 7 than being nearer the corner for a more open view?

Thanks!

Caroline Miles
    Participant

Hi Tom

In our opinion yes as you get a greater area you can see but this is of course personal preference but we had some friends who sat in block 5 who said our views were far better than theirs – we were in 7 and on the back row. As I say this is our opinion I was told some people ask to sit on the front row which I wouldn’t do out of choice. We have seen a lot of action coming down that back straight and into the corner. If you are more interested in the action on the corner then 5 or 6 would probably be a better option for you. To be honest you will have a fantastic time wherever you sit the circuit is amazing.

Tom
    Participant

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for your valuable insight. I might have to give the south grandstand a try with all the raving reviews. Initially i liked S02-04 of the north grandstand which looked like a good place for close up photo’s of the cars using a tele lens. Would you or anyone have any experience in taking close up photos of cars at the south upper grandstand?

Considering buying the 3 day pass with the pit lane walk. Is the pit lane walk for the whole day or specific times during the day?

Cheers!

Caroline Miles
    Participant

Hi Tom
    Photos are not my forte I am afraid so someone else will have to help you out with that. To be honest I haven’t seen any bad reviews for any of the grandstands but some are more popular than others the benefit in the South is you are in the shade as well whilst you are on the grandstand.

Re the 3 day pass, the pit lane walk opens at a specific time usually around 1.00 pm (although they have opened it earlier before due to the heat and number of people waiting to go in) and ends around 3.30/4 pm. Well worth it and you can stand and watch them building the cars up/going to scrutineering/pit stop practice if lucky and last year we had Crofty filming his bit outside Merc. We have also seen a few drivers around. It is a bit surreal seeing people lying on the grid to have their photo taken! You also get a ticket for the Thursday evening concert at the Du Arena (you get wristbands for the other 3 nights which are issued when you enter the circuit each day.)

Tom
    Participant

Hi Caroline,
    Again thanks for the insight, already helping loads. I understand the drivers autograph session in on Thursday too, is this open to the public or perhaps for selected guests? What time is the autograph session? Thanks again.

Tom

Caroline Miles
    Participant

Hi Ton

The autograph sessions are open to the public. The gates open about 12 and the sessions were from what I can recall (can’t find our programme from last year) from around 1 or 2 pm. It should be on the programme for the weekend but they have boards up where the signing area is to tell you times. There are usually too many people waiting and last year there was a board up that said if you were beyond this line you will not get an autograph. There are also sessions on Friday as well and there are also sessions for the support race drivers as well.

Please free to keep asking it is only from this forum we have been clued up for the other races we have been lucky enough to attend. Are you staying on Yas?

Thanks
    Caroline

Tom
    Participant

Caroline,

Completely agree, forums and like minded people such as yourself really helps the process and experience in booking and attending a race. I attended my first F1 race last year in Singapore and it was this web forum that made all the difference.

How long are we expected to queue for the autograph session? From what I gather it appears when the gates are open one would have to first queue for the autographs before doing the pit lane walk?

Unfortunately won’t be staying at Yas, a bit too pricey and looking into booking in the city. Despite reading around transportation to leave the circuit after the race/concerts bothers me a little; i read queues can be 2 hours long, is it really that bad? Perhaps it would be better to source a private taxi and pay the driver more? Perhaps Uber?!

Thanks,
    Tom

Caroline Miles
    Participant

Hi Tom

I am not sure how long you will need to queue as we have never bothered preferring to go into the pit lane walk instead as the drivers only get about 10/15 minutes for the session and it is just like a conveyor belt with a lot of people trying to get through.

Unfortunately the taxis are a challenge! Going to the circuit believe it or not it is safer to go to Ferrari World a lot of the taxi drivers don’t really know where they need to go to get you to the circuit! From Ferrari World the free circuit shuttle buses run so you can get to where you need to be. They also opened the mall at the side of Ferrari World last year so plenty of places to eat as well.

After the track action it is manic and grid locked! The buses are packed solid so depending where you are it is easier to walk up to the Arena for the concerts. They keep moving the taxi pick up points although people do flag them down although they are not supposed to. Last year it was behind the Arena and seemed organised but we didn’t stay for the concerts. When we have in the past we have left a little earlier to get a taxi but we were talking to a couple the year before last who had stayed until the end of the concert and they had to wait about 2 hours – there weren’t enough taxis and they were putting out all calls for taxi drivers to go to the Arena.

There is a bus back into Abu Dhabi but we have only ever managed to find the stop and get a bus back! I am sure you could get a private company there are pick up points but we have always risked it as part of the experience.

Nigel Clements
    Participant

Tom

I have two hotels booked at Yas Marina.

I need to cancel one (on points) so we may be able to come to some agreement if you’re interested?

PM me

Tom
    Participant

Hi, a further questions. Suppose I buy a 3 day pass at the south grandstand and given that practice sessions have low attendence; is it possible to venture off to another grandstand for the practice sessions?

Tom

Caroline Miles
    Participant

In a word – no. Tickets are for specific grandstands only and you have to scan the right day’s ticket at the turnstile to get into the grandstand so it is important that you ensure you have the right ticket each day – they are all colour coded and the lanyards issued with them are also colour coded for the grandstand you are on.

Laura
    Participant

Hey Guys, I’m in the process of choosing my tickets for Yas this year. I’m thinking either North (specifically section 6) or West – I was going to go for the Club option, anyone done that? is it worth it?
    Many thanks,

Laura

Tom
    Participant

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info, it was very valuable. Finally booked South Upper Grandstand 7, Row G, lower numbered seating. Really looking forward to it. It’s going to be awesome.

Hi Laura, i was too considering the North, when i called to book the sales team told me North section 6 is all booked except for row A and B. From previous forums it is not suggested as the rails are big and thick which will be obstructing your view.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.