Going to the Canadian Grand Prix at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Where to stay near Circuit Gilles Villeneuve?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Where are the best places to stay if you’re going to the Canadian Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve?

F1antics
    Participant

I’ve now booked at the Hotel l’Abri du Voyageur, which is close to the Berri-UQAM metro stop that has a direct line to the circuit. The hotel doesn’t seem to have hiked its rates up for the GP, and a colleague stayed there before and says it’s fine.
    I’ve not been to the Montreal GP before, but I’ve been to the jazz festival a couple of times so I know street noise can be an issue if everyone’s partying out on the streets. Does anyone know how much street activity there is for the GP, and what time it stops?

MRPiGoiL
    Participant

I’ve booked Hotel St Denis. Not a hotel I’d normally book, even though 8 months away from Grand Prix, I snooze, I lose. I couldn’t find availability for the hotels i wanted and others are way too far away or way too expensive. I don’t mind paying for hotels and stay comfortably, but the prices are simply unaffordable for me… Hope this hotel is not bad. Reviews say it’s pretty clean and for this trip i don’t mind having no amenities. it’s close to a main Metro hub that takes you to the circuit directly without transferring, and close walk to Old Montreal. Should be a good time.

Lord Stig
    Participant

I have stayed at Hotel Alt (http://www.dix30.althotels.ca/). It is in Brossard, so it is pretty far from the track and downtown Montreal. Not sure about public transport to there but you can certainly take a taxi. The hotel is quite nice and relatively cheap ($135/night).

TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g155032-Montreal_Quebec-Hotels.html) is generally good for finding hotels. You can search using a variety of different criteria and is good for any city in the world nearly.

F1antics
    Participant

I discovered today that it can be cheaper if you stay longer in Montreal. A room at the Candlewood Suites (downtown) costs £960+tax in total for 4 nights over the GP weekend, but £475+tax for 7 nights. If you book via one of the cashback sites (quidco, topcashback, etc) you can get up to 10% cashback too.

Jenny
    Participant

F1antics, I am staying one street away from you at the Days Inn! Great location and we are within walking distance of the metro station. I booked the hotel through Quidco so we got 10% off, still very expensive. I need to read my Montreal tourist book to see what else there is to see / do.

F1antics
    Participant

Me too Jenny. I’ve been twice before and I know where the circuit is – I always take a ride on the public bus that goes along it, just for the thrill of saying I’ve driven a F1 circuit :) But both times were for the Jazz Festival, so I mainly stuck to the festival area. And I managed to get some pretty good hotels (Westin/Hyatt etc) on Priceline, so they were cheap holidays compared to this. I reckon Priceline is worth trying nearer the date, for anyone who can hold out that long, when the hotels start releasing unused block bookings. Hotwire’s already got one fairly cheap hotel for the GP dates, but I couldn’t work out which one it was.
    I’m travelling on my own but hope to meet up with local friends who can point me in the direction of some good cafes and bars. One thing I learnt on my last trip is that the famous Schwartz’s smoked meat sandwiches are not to my taste, and definitely not worth the long queue!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.