Going to the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas

How to get to Circuit of the Americas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Share your tips on getting to the track.

Adam Tate
    Participant

If you are in Europe, the best bet would be to fly into Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, but flights will likely be easier to DFW International in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. From there Austin is just a straight shot down Interstate 35. Would take about 3.5 hours, but race traffic could make that longer.

Other options include flying to Houston (George Bush Intercontinental Airport) or San Antonio (San Antonio International)

Try Austin if you can, or San Antonio, it’s closest to Austin. But Houston and DFW will be easiest to catch flights to.

I live in the DFW area, so I’ll be driving down for the weekend.
    I’m looking forward to the race and the chance to meet up with my fellow F1Fanatics!

COTA have issued their own information and advice for fans heading to the track:

Circuit of The Americas has released transportation tips for guests attending the 2012 Formula One United States Grand Prix, Nov. 16-18. With the volume of Grand Prix-related activities both at the Circuit and downtown during Austin Fan Fest Powered by Mobil 1, hundreds of thousands of additional visitors are expected in Central Texas during race weekend. The Circuit’s transportation plan has been designed to transport tens of thousands of ticket holders, media representatives and Circuit workers and vendors to the venue in southeast Travis County as safely and efficiently as possible, while taking thousands of vehicles off of the roadways. Nonetheless, heavy traffic is expected during peak travel times in the mornings and afternoons, and guests are encouraged to follow these guidelines as they head to Circuit of The Americas:

General Guidance for Guests
    1. Leave early! Attendees should expect to add at least one hour to their travel time to get to designated shuttle bus pick-up locations and at least 90 minutes to get from accommodations to the Circuit with an on-site parking pass. Circuit gates open daily at 7:30 a.m. Nov. 16-18 and the facility will be ready to greet early arrivals. Parking lots at the Circuit open at 6 a.m. CST.

2. Carpool when possible to Circuit and to shuttle stop locations to help alleviate additional vehicle traffic on the roadways.

3. Go to recommended shuttle bus pick-up points to avoid overloading one shuttle location: in-state ticketholders should go to the Travis County Expo Center location, and out-of-state and international guests should use the downtown shuttle location at 15th and Trinity Streets. Maps to all shuttle bus locations and Circuit parking lots can be found at http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/transportation.

4. Do not bring prohibited items on shuttle buses or to the Circuit of The Americas entrance gates; there will be no place to store them on the buses or at the Circuit gates. A list of prohibited items is available at http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/prohibited-items.

5. Guests with an on-site parking should follow the driving instructions printed on the back of their three-day parking passes to enter the Circuit; GPS should be turned off as specific routes will be identified to assigned parking lots:

Those parking in Lots A, B, C, D, and F can utilise FM 812;
    Those parking in Lots E, F, G, H, J, and K can utilise Pearce to Kellam;
    Those parking in Lots L, M, N, P are strongly encouraged to utilise SH 21 to FM 812 or SH 21 to FM 535;
    All Lot Q traffic should utilise SH 21 to FM 812; and
    Alternative access for Lots A thru K exists along the following routes: SH 21 to FM 812, SH 21 to FM 535, SH 71 to Wolf Lane.

6. Know which streets are closed to all non-emergency vehicles; the City of Austin has posted these closures on its website, http://austintexas.gov/department/event-routes-road-closures.

7. Expect traffic delays and anticipate congestion where it normally occurs on I-35 and on Highway 183 throughout the city, on Highway 71/290 between I-35 and SH 130, on main arteries leading downtown, and in the area of 12th Street, 15th Street and Martin Luther King Blvd. near the downtown Park + Ride location at 15th and Trinity Streets;

8. Plan to spend the day at the Circuit; there will be lots to see and experience; a calendar of the weekend’s events, as well all other visitor resources, is available at http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/visit; and

9. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes and dress for the weather.

Taxi and Bike Routes
    Taxis that have purchased permits can also transport ticketed guests to Circuit of The Americas along designated routes to the venue. Guests will be dropped off at a taxi depot and then can walk to the Circuit’s main entrance off Circuit of The Americas Blvd. There is also designated route for cyclists from the downtown area along Burleson Road to Richard Moya Park, just south of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. There is free valet parking for cyclists at the park with complimentary shuttles that will take cyclists to and from the Circuit.

Guest Services Team is Here to Help: Find the ORANGE SHIRTS
    Circuit of The Americas has assembled a large team of Guest Services representatives who will be stationed around the venue—from shuttle bus depots, to entry gates and seating sections—to help guests get where they’re going. Guest Services representatives will be outfitted in bright ORANGE SHIRTS bearing the Circuit of The Americas’ logo, so they are easy to spot. During race weekend, race goers can seek out Guest Services representatives for assistance with questions or issues to be resolved.

George O’Donnell
    Participant

Does anyone have any updated information on getting to COTA? I will be staying in a hostel downtown but will not have my own transportation. In previous years there has been a shuttle bus from downtown to COTA but I can’t see any reference to a shuttle bus for 2014 on their website. Can anyone help?

Michael Moran
    Participant

The Circuit has not released any shuttle info yet, but I an pretty certain they will have the shuttle from downtown this year. Should originate from the Convention Center again this year. Cost last year was $5. FYI, if you are flying into Austin, Cap Metro does have direct bus that goes from the airport to the Convention Center area. Info can be found on the Cap Metro website. Much cheaper than a cab. Imagine info on shuttles won’t be released until end if Sept. or early Oct. They were still working on a plan for the shuttles to drop much closer than in previous years. Race tickets should start shipping Sept. 15.

George O’Donnell
    Participant

Thanks Michael! I’m staying at the HI Austin which is about 30 mins walk from the Convention Center (but was incredibly cheap accommodation!!!) and will be arriving into Austin by bus (I am attending a wedding in Dallas a few days before). I’ve still not bought my race ticket yet but will be onto that soon.

Michael Moran
    Participant

Just an FYI….if you’re doing Greyhound, the bus station is about two blocks west if IH35 on Koenig Lane. You will have to cab to your Hostel as it is really isn’t walking distance. Don’t know what your budget is on tickets, but you might look on Craigslist to see if you can pick up a PSL ticket someone is selling. These would be for the Main, T1 & T15 Grandstands. Mine are in T15. The advantage of a PSL ticket is it gets you into the Hospitality areas for those GS’s which will provide you with a break from the sun along with restrooms & concessions just for those ticket holders. If you were to buy seats in those sections from the Circuit, they are around $550 & up, but don’t include the PSL Hospitality access. So, if you can afford it & can find one for less than $500, it would provide for the best weekend experience. I may be selling one of mine if my brother ends up not being able to make it. If you’re budget is tight, GA at CoTA is very good. The GA areas are mostly on berms that provide excellent visibility. Just bring something to sit on in case it is dewey in the mornings….nothing like a wet butt to start your day, lol! They do allow the collapsible type camp chairs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.