Formula Two

2013 GP2 Round 1: Malaysia

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was really, no, REALLY surprised by Trummer this weekend.
    Had it not been for a drive through penalty which as far as I’m aware, half the grid got given, he could have finished as high as 5th or 6th.

But overall a good first race, a tight battle for the lead and a lot of overtaking in the midfield with next to no ‘crashing’. (Other than the MP Motorsport blunder)

andae23
    Participant

Surprises so far: Trummer and Leal, both of whom I did not expect in the top 10 at all. Also, Sam Bird drove a great race despite that penalty. Binder is also a bit of a surprise, though not quite in the points.

Ryan Williams
    Participant

Really enjoyed that season-opening race. A great scrap for the lead between Leimer and Coletti, until Stefano dropped back through worn tyres. Excellent drive from Calado to get into 2nd, and solid performances from Palmer and Bird who made the reverse strategy work well. Shame that Bird got a penalty though, he could’ve finished in the top 5 I reckon! Mitch Evans drove well too to score a point in his debut race in the category, especially considering he’s suffering from food poisoning this weekend.

Surprises have to be Trummer, Cecotto & Daly. Trummer was incredibly unimpressive last year, but drove well today to pick up some points, and Cecotto put yesterday behind him and made up 14 places from last on the grid. Daly performed really well considering that he hasn’t had a lot of seat time and was only confirmed to be racing this week. 13th place is a solid result in his debut

Decent race, good win by Leimer, nice recovery from Calado after a scrappy start. Same old tyre problems for Coletti. Pity for Evans he really seemed to be struggling with his food poisoning.

Aditya
    Participant

gah, what happened with Haryanto? 6th in grid but got lapped down? I don’t see the race (no coverage here in Indonesia) hence I’ll appreciate if any of you would explain.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

We don’t get any coverage here in Australia, either, but from what I understand, a whole lot of drivers got drive-through penalties.

andae23
    Participant

Haryanto collided with someone (I believe Binder) at turn two and damaged his front wing. He was looking pretty strong though, as he was keeping up with the people who were supposed to be lapping him.

andae23
    Participant

*turn 3

Aditya
    Participant

@andae23 thanks for that explanation, shame for Addax though.
    @prisoner-monkeys we don’t even have coverage for F1! (unless cable TV, so I have to watch online streaming). but the case with GP2 guys is unsurprising, isn’t it? they are all desperately wanna get some attention from F1 paddock…

andae23
    Participant

Full feature race below (via @fixy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KfPheFdhPZ0#!

I need to correct something: Haryanto made contact with Leal, not Binder.

For tomorrow: Richelmi will start from pole, from Bird, Palmer and Leal. Quaiffe-Hobbs received a penalty for taking out his teammate and will start last.

Aditya
    Participant

after watching the feature race, thanks to @andae23 and @fixy, I heard Will Buxton and Jerome D’Ambrosio said that if the runners has already used softer compound, they couldn’t use it in sprint race. how do tyre allocation rules in GP2?
    A bit confused here as I read in GP2 website.

Once used in free practice, one set of “prime” specification must be returned to Pirelli before the start of the qualifying practice session. As such, each driver will still have four sets – two sets of Primes and two sets of Options – to use freely during qualifying, Feature Race and Sprint Race.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Taken from the official website:

The GP2 Series uses slick Pirelli tyres in four specifications (super soft, soft, medium and hard) which are predetermined by Pirelli in advance of the race weekend.

In a change of regulations in 2012, each driver has five sets of dry-weather tyres per weekend – three of “prime” specification and two of “option” specification. Each driver will also be provided with three sets of wet-weather tyres.

Once used in free practice, one set of “prime” specification must be returned to Pirelli before the start of the qualifying practice session. As such, each driver will still have four sets – two sets of Primes and two sets of Options – to use freely during qualifying, Feature Race and Sprint Race.

http://www.gp2series.com/Guide-to/The-regulations/

andae23
    Participant

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Ma Qinghua ruled unfit to compete:

http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/News/2013/03_March/Ma-Qing-Hua-confirmed-unfit-to-compete-in-sprint-race/

Apparently he’s got gastro and was so extremely dehydrated after yesterday’s race that the medical staff are refusing to let him take part today.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So Coletti wins from Nasr in second and Evans in third.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.