Formula Two

2013 GP2 Round 4: Monaco

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    wsrgo
    Participant

@andae23 Ceccon didn’t really outbrake anyone, IMO. Bird braked very hard to prevent himself being squeezed by Cecotto (who outbraked everyone) and Ceccon rammed into his back. If Ceccon had braked hard like Bird, those two might have been caught up in the incident as well. Bird should actually thank Ceccon after his win.

andae23
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Agree about Leal, but Ceccon hitting Bird happened miles before the Cecotto accident. Just look at the video Keith posted: you can’t possibly argue Ceccon’s and Cecotto’s accidents were linked.

xjr15jaaag
    Participant

So gutted for Leimer; had Cecotto not outbraked himself, Leimer probably would have ended up third or so.

xjr15jaaag
    Participant

Cecotto has been suspended from Monaco Sprint race for the Ste Devote crash

A suspension for Cecotto is long overdue, he should have had one after that outrageous incident with Bird in Malaysia. That was done maliciously, while this was sheer incompetence.

DaveF1
    Participant

Thank goodness they have finally taken an action against him.

Hope that Cecotto learns from this. He’s clearly quick and has a decent amount of talent but it would be a shame if was to be wasted because he’s suffering of some anger management issues.

BasCB
    Participant

Strange, you get banned for a mistake at the start causing a crash, but not for dangerous driving. Much like we saw in F1 last year when Grosjean got the ban for the Spa start gaffe, but Maldonado’s dangerous driving (the year before that even more) was left largely unpunished.
    Off course now it at least gets the right guy, but for completely the wrong reasons.

JPQuesado
    Participant

He finally got a penalty! FINALLY! He deserved a penalty since Malaysia, I think he deserves more a ban than a penalty. He has been completely ridiculous defending positions!

andae23
    Participant

I’m just… lost for words here. I really don’t understand the stewards. It’s exactly as @bascb says: if you do something purposefully, it shoulds be punished 100 times more severely than accidents. What Grosjean did last year was clumsy, but it’s not like he wanted to cause first-lap crashes. Maldonado and Cecotto have used their cars as weapons on more than one occasion, which imo is the worst thing you can do in a racing car.

To be fair, Cecotto didn’t deserve a race ban in Monaco. Based on past races he did, but since no action was taken then, it would be justice if a less severe incident like today’s race would go unpunished as well.

Nick
    Participant

@BasCB I was thinking the same thing. At least they’re being consistent.. I was also thinking about the use of banning Grosjean for a race, while the guys in GP2 get away with driving that would even be penalized in video games, but I guess doing a Grosjean-2012-esque move works too.

Does anyone know why Frijns couldn’t continue? From what I saw, his car wasn’t too damaged.

andae23
    Participant
    AdrianMorse
    Participant

Frijns was not allowed to restart because he had a puncture? That’s completely ridiculous! Why would they not allow any car to restart anyway, if it can be fixed in time? Truly baffling, especially considering this wrecks their sprint race as well.

BasCB
    Participant

The idea was that there was 15 minutes to the restart. But they already started putting cars on trucks that were strewn about the track, so everyone who was not able to immediately drive on, and got out of their car instead (like Frijns did) was not able to restart @adrianmorse

Alfie
    Participant

Seems a good decision @bascb. Not to say it wasn’t fun watching drivers run up the track to try and get started anyway.

Tyler
    Participant

This is not the first time in motorsport we’ve seen a dangerous driver punished harshly for an incident, when the real reason is previous stupidity that inexplicably escaped sanction. It’s hard to believe that if any other driver made a mistake like that, he’d suffer the same consequences. Intellectually it’s unsatisfying, but karma prevails in the end. Still, I really wish the stewards would improve the consistency of their decision making in GP2.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.