Formula Two

2013 GP2 teams and drivers

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 408 total)
  • Author
    R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Good to see that RF is back, though at Lancaster’s expense – he’s been great in sprint races this year. I just hope Frijns doesn’t blow it and score two sub-20th place finishes this weekend.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I think Frijns really needs the races to mature and be ready for F1 next year (unless Sirotkin actually does get the seat, which could still go to Bianchi – easy way to clear some Ferrari engine debt, right?), as he has the pace, but not the decision making yet to succeed in F1. Perhaps he is too aggressive at the moment, a bit like Maldonado – crash or win. If he had taken up more easy points (Bahrain, 3rd in Germany) he could be near Lancaster in the championship. Lol at copying the setups! Frijns needs to score good points at every GP2 race he is in now, and get near the top 5 in the championship, to keep up his momentum and aim at F1 next year. Calado has been unlucky to have two 9th place finishes in the feature race, else he would actually be in the championship hunt, while Nasr has kept out of trouble and shows that exact consistency and pace mix, indicating he is ready for F1. I wonder if Frijns and Lancaster may swap drives for the rest of the season.

Shame they can’t run those two all season, but I’m still struggling to understand what incentive there is to run a GP2 team, given the lack of prize money and over £3 million budget needed for a season! True motor sport love!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well since it’s been announced that James Calado is now Force India’s 3rd driver, and that he’ll be driving with them this weekend at Monza, it means he can’t drive for gp2 aswell.

With that being said, is anyone linked to the ART seat?

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Interesting, so Calado has basically given up on the GP2 championship? I guess he can afford to, for that F1 chance. Maybe he has something conditional for 2014? I.e. if he does well in FP1s. If Di Resta has lost Mercedes backing he could be short, Sutil still has backing as far as I know. 2014 in FP1s aka Hulkenberg wouldn’t be a bad deal, either. Preparation for a 2015 debut, with Sutil or Di Resta out.

If I was ART, I would take Lancaster, but you never know who will be in the seat.

the_sigman
    Participant

Two of Will Buxton’s tweets
    https://twitter.com/willbuxton/status/374548147558944768

Anonymous
    Inactive

I feel like Daly is good a choice considering he races for them in gp3.
    Now, can someone do gp3 and gp2 in one weekend or am i just day dreaming now?

Eric
    Participant

Stoked Frigns is back.
    I was looking at the timelines and noticed that Sirotkin had his seat fitting one day before Frigns’s re-assignment to Hilmer. I wonder if Sauber is behind RF getting his drive back…

the_sigman
    Participant

@bosley if he can’t do both GP2 and GP3 I don’t believe that ART will take away his chances of the GP3 championship.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@sigman1998 Yeah it seems strange that they’d take on Daly since he’s very much in the running for the championship in second. They can’t take Regalia for the same reason since he’s first right now, and since the only other option is Harvey, who needs a bit more experience before stepping up into a GP2 car, im really puzzeled on whos going to get the seat.

Thats if you can’t do a GP2-GP3 in the same weekend, which would be a push since they’re normally straight after eachother.

Mathers
    Participant

What I read from that tweet is that Daly will just get Calado’s car to the pit lane, and it says Calado is doing practice, have a debrief before doing the GP2 qualifying. This would suggest you can after all do F1 practice and GP2, but maybe he is wrong.

wsrgo
    Participant

There’s no rule that states you can’t do GP2 and FP1 in the same weekend. None at all. Most teams don’t risk it, because it’s risky and puts too much pressure.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Well, if there is anyone that can do it, I reckon it would be Calado, probably followed by Frijns. But it will be very tough, F1 is a totally different beast to GP2! I’m amazed that Calado did so well at the YDT, given he had only had straight line aero testing before that!

wsrgo
    Participant

Robin Frijns has been officially dropped by Sauber, and according to several sources, is set to be dropped by Hilmer again today, replaced by Jon Lancaster.

Nick
    Participant

Robin himself has also said he won’t be driving in Monza. No vague tweets this time though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Two driver changes for Monza: Frijns is replaced by Lancaster at Hilmer and Sergio Campana (currently 3rd in Auto GP) replaces Teixeira at Trident.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 408 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.