Formula Two

2013 GP2 teams and drivers

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 408 total)
  • Author
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Sounds to me like Hilmer are rotating Frijns and Lancaster for the rest of the season. Maybe Frijns had a better record at Spa or something. Frijns was unlucky – 9th in race one. 8th could have led to Calado’s result of a race 2 win. Frijns, without mistakes in a few races (mainly being too aggressive, GP2 needs a consistent touch for points finishes), could easily be up with Lancaster in the championship. I did miss seeing his Barcelona win/second though.

wsrgo
    Participant

@fastiesty But Frijns disappeared in Race two, whereas teammate Adrian Quaife-Hobbs (whom Frijns doesn’t consider to have had any good performance this year) vaulted from 10th to the podium.

Matthijs
    Participant

He lost 10 extra seconds in the pitlane in race 1, he would have been 8th rather than 9th. So he effectively lost pole position. In race 2 his transmission failed.
    So he had a terrible weekend at Spa, but he was only partly to blame.

wsrgo
    Participant

@matthijs Calado lost more than that in the pits, it made him drop from 2nd to 8th. So no, Frijns wouldn’t have been 8th.

Matthijs
    Participant

@wsrgo I don’t really understand what you mean. If Frijns did not loose this time in the pits (and Calado did), wouldn’t he have finished in front of Calado? In fact, Frijns finished within three seconds of 7th place, so it is quite likely that he would have finished in the top 8 with a faster pitstop.

Anyway, a lot of ‘if’s, at the end of the day he finished 9th.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

That sure was a fun qualifying session, from what I heard.

How did Vittorio Ghirelli’s car end up on the banking?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I sure hope the F1 qualifying is as exciting as GP2’s.
    Top 20 drivers finished within 1 second of pole, 22 if you count Clos and Lancaster who got penalties.

Definete surprise was Rosenzweig, who if i remember correctly had his first GP2 race in Monza last year.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also, interesting fact, Rosenzweig has been classified (finished all but 1 but was during the last few laps) all 24 of the GP2 races hes competed in. Thats got to be a record.

wsrgo
    Participant

Dani Clos has been excluded from qualifying for not being able to yield a sufficient fuel sample. Also, Jon Lancaster has picked up a ten-place grid pennalty.

wsrgo
    Participant

Fabio Leimer wins, ahead of the two RUSSIAN TIME’S of Sam Bird and Tom Dillmann. Stephane Richelmi, Julian Leal, James Calado, Adrian Quaife-Hobbs, Alexander Rossi, Sergio Canamasas and Vittorio Ghirelli round out the top 10.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Russian Time must be kicking themselves for that blown pitstop.

And with Rossi in 8th, I’m really, REALLY hoping he can win the sprint tomorrow.

robk23
    Participant

Having just watched the GP2 race and now the GP3 race, is there a new rule at Monza this weekend saying some of the championship contenders have to drop out of the race?

wsrgo
    Participant

@flybird Leimer was mega last year at Singapore, getting 2 podiums. Also, don’t forget he won the GP2 final feature race in 2011, the last time GP2 went to Abu Dhabi.
    It’s gonna be tight though, because RUSSIAN TIME looks strong, and Bird rarely makes mistakes.

Miguel
    Participant

Good weekend for Sam Bird so far. After the disappointments of Nurburgring and Hungaroring, all the hopes for the tittle were going away, but he is back in the battle for the championship. I calculated that he would must win in Monza and Abu Dhabi. Spa race went better than expected, Sam scored point that put him close to Coletti and Nasr. Now in Monza, he got a P2 in the feature race that could finish in a victory and P2 in the championship. For the left races, Singapur seems to be good for Sam who is an expert on street races (like Mónaco), I expect a podium there, and finally Abu Dhabi that is a known track for Sam, he got good results in GP2 2010 there. Probably it is the last opportunity for Bird to get the championship because is his “win or win” season if he wants to follow Bianchi’s steps going to F1.

@wsrgo Leimer is now the main contender, will be a good race in Singapur. Qualifying is crucial there, just hope that tyres don’t be primordial there because Russian Time’s car runs out the tyres very quickly like I saw in other races.

Nick
    Participant

Quaife-Hobbs won the sprint race in front of Rossi and Leal. With Bird 4th and Leimer 6th, while Coletti and Nasr were outside of the points again, it’s starting to look like Leimer and Bird might run away with it.

The current standings:

1. Leimer – 159
    2. Bird – 153
    3. Coletti – 135
    4. Nasr – 130

Meanwhile, there have been some rumors surrounding Frijns. Some Dutch commenters on F1 sites have mentioned Trident offered Frijns a drive for the rest of the season, but he declined. Meanwhile, he is looking at a drive with Russian Time for 2014.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 408 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.