Formula Two

2012 GP2 driver market

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    raymondu999
    Participant

Just wondering as a random thought – what do you all think of Rio? Any good? Any signs of him getting swallowed up by a team?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Possibly. If he’s got backing from someone – Marussia, maybe, sicne he raced for Marussia Manor in GP3 – then he might wind up in a mid-field team like Supernova or Trident.

Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

I think Rio will end up racing for the DAMS Formula Renault 3.5 squad alongside either Nico Müller or Nigel Melker. The first DAMS GP2 seat will definitely go to Kevin Korjus and I predict the second to go to either Brendon Hartley, Jan Charouz, or Robert Wickens, but hopefully the latter lands that seat.

DAMS/Renault and Marussia have had somewhat of a partnership, as di Grassi and d’Ambrosio both were Renault test drivers, and Charles Pic’s family is involved in a Renault-affiliated eneterprise. I see Haryanto going with the Renault path instead of the Marussia path, so I see him racing for DAMS in FR3.5 and then Caterham in GP2 (because he is the fastest Asian star in motorsport right now), subsequently landing a Catetham F1 seat followed by a possible Lotus Renault or Toro Rosso (the latter also being interested in Asian talent due to Aabar control).

Joel Holland
    Participant

If Wickens ends up in GP2 it’ll be a big risk. He’s got the momentum of the 3.5 title but GP2 is another kettle of fish. He’ll be 23 by the time the season starts, which isn’t young, and could end up having a really bad year. Rapax showed this season that winning the title with a veteran doesn’t mean you’ll remain at the top of the pile. I feel for Wickens as he’s proved he’s good enough for F1 but looks likely to miss the boat this year. Who knows what’ll happen after that. Hopefully he’ll get there, but if he doesn’t F1’s loss will be IndyCar’s gain.

I’m not sure Korjus will go to DAMS in 3.5 Tech 1 are an experienced title-winning team in that series. Gravity would be wise to leave him there

@Portugoose You seem to have Haryanto’s career all planned out! I agree he’ll probably go to 3.5 next season but he’s still a long way from showing himself to be good enough for F1. Not that that matters a whole lot.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The advantage of putting Wickens in GP2 is that he’ll get to run on the Pirelli tyres, which he wouldn’t get in any other series. They’re identical to the tyres used by Formula 1, too, so if and when he steps up to Formula 1, he will know how the tyres behave.

But even if Marussia made a mistake in not promoting him to Formula 1, Red Bull made an even bigger mistake in cutting him loose from the Young Driver Program a few years ago.

raymondu999
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys the tyres won’t be identical; there will be differences, but I would think that they would be near-identical; as they were designed with the intention of giving GP2 drivers experience on how to manage the Pirellis; and also get a feel for their grip.

Just a random question for those who actively follow GP2/3 (I don’t get it around here). How is Rio Haryanto? Any good? Is he moving to GP2 next year? Any chances of that? I saw the results from GP2 Abu Dhabi; his results seemed rather lackluster.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haryanto finished GP3 in 7th place, with two wins and two further podiums. His team mate Quaife-Hobbs finished 5th, with one win and one further podium. In GP2 he was out of the points in both races, but it’s hard to judge him for those only performances.
    (See here for the results of each GP3 graduate)

raymondu999
    Participant

Yes; but results don’t tell the whole story. Which is why I was asking for how people evaluated him :P

Joel Holland
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Wickens is ready for F1. Regardless of the benefit of running on Pirellis, GP2 would be a risk sideways step for him. He beat a better driver in Vergne than he’d come up against in GP2 next year. Marussia’s backing of him needs to be questioned if they can’t put him in that car. Moreover, their financial power needs to be questioned if they have to take Pic’s $10m+ cheque rather than their own title-winning protegee.

Trident have confirmed Stephane Richelmi:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=307902619232907

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Nigel Melker will race for Ocean:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96737

JPQuesado
    Participant

@keithcollantine The press release its in Portuguese.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Julian Leal joins Trident:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96808

He raced with them in Abu Dhabi.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.