Formula Two

2012 GP2 driver market

Viewing 8 posts - 106 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Adam
    Participant

I’m sure the hard working mechanics at Caterham have a different nickname than ‘Speedy’ for him! Valsecchi and van der Garde are good drivers but this has to be their last chance. Gutierrez showed glimpses of being a great talent last year so if he is going to make it to F1 then he needs to be competing for the title.

I’m looking forward to following Calado this year, he should be aiming for regular top 8 finishes considering the field he’s up against. I wouldn’t rule out Chilton or Palmer either though, both have showed glimpses of pace in the past so in the 3rd and 2nd years in GP2 it’s about time they were competing for wins. Palmer looked good in F2, yes he was beaten by Stoneman but it was close..hardly a trouncing!

Is still such a shame that FR3.5 has several drivers who would be favoured above all of these drivers for this years GP2 title.

Joel Holland
    Participant

Dillmann and Texeira at Addax. Glad to see Dillmann get a shot, promising enough kid, but Texeira? Oh dear GP2.

Mathers
    Participant

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but I didn’t feel it was worth a new thread.

Is there any news on who will commentate for Sky on the GP2 races?

Joel Holland
    Participant

@mathers Good point, I haven’t heard anything on that either.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@jholland – While Texeira might not be a brilliant racer, I think he’s a good choice for Rapax. His Angolan petrodollars will allow the team to take someone like Dillman, who has potential, but may not have the bank balance to back it up. And after last year’s disaster, they’re going to need all the help they can get.

The last seat that is still open is the second Lazarus.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I don’t know when it was announced (Wikipedia lists it as having been added yesterday), but Venezuelan driver Giancarlo Serenelli has filled the second Lazarus seat. Unsurprising, really, given that the team is competing as “Venezuela GP Lazarus”, and they’re covered in Visit Venezuela and PDVSA branding. At thirty years old, he’s not the ideal choice, but I suppose the most important thing for Lazarus this year is to get settled quickly, especially given that they only picked up Super Nova’s entry at the last minute.

Joel Holland
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys I do agree with you re. Texeira bringing money that allows them to run Dillmann. Texeira is useless though. 23rd in qualy, 1.5s off 22nd fastest. Woeful.

But he’s been usurped for most useless by Serenelli. At 30 I don’t even know why he’d want to do GP2 and get his arse kicked on a fortnightly basis. Where’s the fun?! He’s a further 1.5 of Texeira… those two are just going to have little races of their own tomorrow. Pleasantly surprised by Crestani in the other Lazarus though.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@jholland – If you look at the qualifying results, the most useless drivers are at the back of the grid. Gonzalez is 23rd, Teixeira 25th and Serenelli 26th. They’re not going to be of any harm to anyone. Though i was surprised to see Chilton in 3rd.

As for Serenelli, I’ve noticed a lot of Venezuelans in motorsport of late. They’re probably second only to the Russians in terms of the number of drivers they have suddenly produced over the past few years. And what’s more, Venezueland companies are getting involved in top-tier motorsports, with backing of both Williams (that predicted challenege by Venezuelan congress never amounted to anything) and Lazarus. With Bernie making an equally-sudden push into the Americas (three races in two years, plus noises from Mexico), I wouldn’t be surprised if Venezuela makes a bid for a Grand Prix in the next few years, especially if Bernie can talk the teams into having more than twenty races in the calendar. But they just need to get their crime rates under control first.

Viewing 8 posts - 106 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.