Formula Two

Venezuelan Sports Ministry withdraws funding for racing drivers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    wsrgo
    Participant

According to this, the two drivers Camillo Schmidt and Roberto la Rocca, who were all but confirmed to be driving for Lazarus in 2014, are unlikely to get those seats, and Johnny Cecotto, Jr. will need to search for altenative funding if he wants to continue in GP2 in 2014.

wsrgo
    Participant

There was also this rather..er.. amusing tweet from one Jon Lancaster, in response to PaddockScout founder-editor Peter Allen’s tweet, reporting this.

andae23
    Participant

Hmm, in Cecotto’s case that can only be for the good, but there are a lot more Venezuelan drivers out there.

Also, any idea what will happen to Maldonado?

GeeMac
    Participant

I can’t help but agree with that tweet when it comes to Johnny Cecotto Jnr, I’d be very wary taking to the track with him in the field.

wsrgo
    Participant

@andae23 The site only refers to GP2 drivers, although I do believe that this might extend to other lower junior series as well. However, the site doesn’t mention Maldonado at all, which is a bit strange, but it could be that, to accommodate for Pastor (who is Sport Venezuela’s top priority at the moment), they are deciding not to back anyone else.

andae23
    Participant

@wsrgo Yeah I guess so.

dragoll
    Participant

@wsrgo From my understanding there was a lot of questions about how the fund came into being in the first place, and that there wasn’t any discernible process followed in the creation of the fund and the allocation of said funds to the drivers.
    So I’m not sure its a case of trying to put all their eggs in one basket… Might be a case of cleaning up the previous regime’s mess.

Love that Tweet @wsrgo spotted:

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

@keithcollantine please add that to the round-up

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Sounds like a continuation of a story that was run a few months ago. Apparently close to $800 million in state funds was unaccounted for following Chavez’s death and the turmoil that wracked the local political scene afterwards. I remember it well because a lot of people assumed that it meant Pastor Maldonado was going to lose his seat.

wsrgo
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys It’s incredible how a single sport has had such an effect on the country’s political scene…if that is the case..

Force Maikel
    Participant

So no Cecotto in GP2 anymore? Thank the gods for that! His antics were disgraceful for anyone calling himself a professional racing driver.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@wsrgo – Motorsport had nothing to do with it. Someone just saw the sponsor portfolio and thought it was a golden opportunity to embezzle money.

@force-maikel – No, he has just lost his government backing. He can still get a seat, but will need private sponsorship.

mnmracer
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys
    Do you think anyone will give him private sponsorship?
    Let’s be honest here, the only thing that got him into GP2 was his money.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I don’t know. It’s conceivable that he would – whatever his ability, he is the most-prominent Venezuelan driver. With everyone losing their backing, all it will take is one private citizen with more money than sense for him to geta seat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.