IndyCar

2012 IndyCar calendar announced

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Having said about racing at Sebring, I see that the IndyCars are testing there in the near future.

The Baltimore Grand Prix has a new promoter, which may help safeguard the future of the race:

http://indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/51171-baltimore-selects-new-race-operator/

I must have overlooked the Milwaukee race being formally added to the calendar, but it’s on there now. Which I’m very pleased to see, I think there should be at least one one-mile oval on the schedule. Hope they get a good crowd – if I was anywhere near there I’d definitely go!

25 Mar – Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
    01 Apr – Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama
    15 Apr – Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
    29 Apr – Sao Paulo Indy 300
    27 May – Indianapolis 500
    03 Jun – Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix
    09 Jun – Firestone 550 (Texas)
    16 Jun – Milwaukee IndyFest
    23 Jun – Iowa Corn Indy 250
    08 Jul – Honda Indy Toronto
    22 Jul – Edmonton Indy
    05 Aug – Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio
    19 Aug – Streets of Qingdao
    26 Aug – Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma
    02 Sep – Baltimore Grand Prix
    15 Sep – Auto Club Speedway

For those keeping track, that’s 16 races with seven on street courses, five on ovals and four on road courses (including Edmonton in the latter). The ovals are one 2.5-mile, one 2-mile, two 1.5-miles and one 1-mile.

AMG Fan
    Participant

Iowa is less than one mile in length, quite flat too.

So it is – got that mixed up. So they’ve actually got five different ovals of 2.5 miles, 2 miles, 1.5 miles, 1 mile and 0.894 miles.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thats good that they’ve included 5 ovals that are all different shapes and lengths.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

I agree with AJ. To me, the appeal of ovals is best when there’s variety in them.

AMG Fan
    Participant

Iowa produces great IndyCar and NASCAR Nationwide Races, its a bit under Underrated compared to Milwaukee, but it’s a great track. Richmond has a good chance of returning in 2013, which is great news. The more flat, short ovals the better. The decline of high banked 1.5 mile ovals has been fantastic – less full throttle racing.

With the downforce of open wheel cars, its flat and short ovals where the drivers have to drive the cars with finesse.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best way to watch IndyCar in the UK – preferably via an online (ideally free) service?

AMG Fan
    Participant

Justin.tv usually has a live stream for the races, free of charge. Otherwise Sky Sports broadcast it.

@chrisglew Sky Sports showed all the races live last year with I think the exception of the Japanese race (and there isn’t a Japanese round this year). They take the US feed and use their commentators but have fewer ad breaks.

Joel Holland
    Participant

Is there any word on whether Sky will be showing it again this year?

@jholland I believe the deal they signed last year was for two seasons.

Sky are still covering IndyCar on their website which is a good sign they’re continuing as they tend to ignore sports they don’t have the right to (e.g., F1 before 2012…).

Joel Holland
    Participant

Oh excellent, that does suggest it’ll be back.

Quite right, they do tend to ignore things they don’t have. In fact they ignore things they share the rights to if they’re being shown on another channel!

@chrisglew @jholland I just asked Sky’s IndyCar presenter Keith Heuwen on Twitter if the races would be live on Sky this year, here’s what he said:

“As far as I’m aware YES! First rnd on SS F1 HD :)”

Unfortunately he added he “doubted” the other races would also be on Sky Sports F1 HD – presumably they’ll be on Sky Sports 4 as usual.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.