IndyCar

2013 Firestone 550 at Texas Motor Speedway

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Antonio Nartea
    Participant

@bluestar77

Texas has a seating capacity of over 150,000…it’s tough to make any oval look well attended with that many seats to fill.

Fair point. Didn’t look at it from that point of view at first. However, this wasn’t a one off happening. I’ve mentioned Fontana 2012. Auto Club Speedway should be about half the capacity of Texas Motor Speedway, at 80.000 and still they managed to fill about 1/4 of those seats last year for a season finale which delivered the first US champion since Sam Hornish Jr. That’s just poor by any standards.

The rest of your post, I can only agree with as it provided some good insight I don’t really have access to (being only a viewer and not an atendee to these events – something to do with me living in different corner of the Earth). But, strictly as a viewer, my impression at the moment is that the street and road courses are doing far better from an attendance point of view than the ovals, when it comes to open-wheel racing in the US.

And I’m also convinced IndyCar can do a better job with their calendar in order to boost ticket sales and keep it diverse and challenging for everyone, while successfully mixing up some of those superb classic road, street and oval circuits with the newer, more accessible and more marketing-potent, both attendance and broadcast-friendly ones.

Actually, I think I might take a shot at a fantasy-calendar thread sometime this week… :)

MatK77
    Participant

@tony031r

…And I’m also convinced IndyCar can do a better job with their calendar in order to boost ticket sales and keep it diverse and challenging for everyone…

Couldn’t agree more, I think stabilty is vital to keep fans coming back to venues, as well as sponsors and teams signing up for the series.

…my impression at the moment is that the street and road courses are doing far better from an attendance point of view than the ovals…

True, but there are legitimate reasons for that. I’m not trying to make excuses, but Fontana’s date last year (its first in a seven-year absence) wasn’t well thought out – in order to keep the schedule tight at the end of the year, the race ran at a time in southern California when the heat was sweltering, and the fans that showed up hid under the stands right up until the green flew. The calendar has been stretched this year, and Fontana is on a much more fan-friendly October date.

Milwaukee has had horrific promotion problems since the split. Numbers have improved steadily, especially since Andretti took over, but the race day sales have been hampered by a bad date (Father’s day weekend) and some unpredictable weather (and again this year – thunderstorms are now predicted for the weekend, which can only put people off from making the trip). I’d like to see an August/September date for the Mile. Iowa (capacity 30,000) numbers have always been good, I’m interested to see how Pocono will go.

I’d love to see some of the old tracks back – Cleveland was always wild and so different from anything else on the calendar, and a north western leg in Portland and Vancouver is much missed. I loved Surfers, but I don’t think the series is healthy enough for those kinds of transit costs at the moment. I think a return to Montreal would be popular, particularly if Bernie wants to drop the F1 for another dishwater venue.

I’m hopeful – the racing has been great, the races are busier, the TV numbers can only get better.

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

Cleveland was always wild and so different from anything else on the calendar

@bluestar77 And I thought I was the only one who actually liked that race back in the Champ Car era. Anyway, YES, bring back the mile-wide airport strips of Cleveland! I’m all for that!

Actually bring back the 2003 CART calendar with Indianapolis, Pocono, Daytona and Motegi added, Fontana, Denver and Monterrey out and a tweak or two here and there. That was a superb selection of tracks: Laguna Seca, Road America, Hermanos Rodriguez, Long Beach, Vancouver, Miami Bayfront, Surfers Paradise, Brands Hatch, Lausitzring, Montreal…

And while I know the costs are insane, the sponsors interest is 0 and it’s simply something not sustainable right now, I think on a longer term IndyCar should consider a two-leg return to Europe in the UK and France (Brands Hatch and Magny Cours maybe, or Circuit Bugatti? How great would those cars look at Le Mans?). Considering the large number of british and french drivers currently engaged in the series, the superb quality of racing we’ve seen over the past two years and the ticket prices that will undoubtedly be much lower than what F1 has to offer, with the right amount of promo work I really think these two races would be absolute hits…

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.