IndyCar

2015 IndyCar aero kits

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    sushant008
    Participant
    SP
    Participant

From the glimpses I’ve seen of the Honda package, it appears to have an LMP-style shark fin.

sushant008
    Participant

I like it. Looks better than the Chevy.

With RHR’s livery-

sushant008
    Participant

Racer.com has some comparison pictures. Both opted for completely different philosophy.
    It will be interesting to see which one works better.

I’m surprised at the degree of variation between the two. Just look at how completely different the front wing end plate philosophies are, for example.

Though I wouldn’t say they strike me as particularly attractive, having cars in identifiably different shapes is a good thing for IndyCar, in my view. Especially if we see different teams using different combinations of the available parts.

What I particularly like is that both have revised the sidepod structures in front of the rear wheels – definitely the least appealing part of the original DW12 design.

I suspect we’re going to see a few more cautions for debris with all these bits falling off the cars, though. Hopefully plenty of souvenirs for the fans!

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

As cool as it is to see this variation in design, I do feel as though the rules on the front wing were a bit too free. Both front wings are ridiculously complicated and have lots of bits to fall off. Sidepod and rear parts aren’t really a problem from this point of view. I feel like it would have been better to provide more restrictive front wing regulations in order to keep the cars relatively clean.

My other concern about the front wings is the effect on the racing. Now, a following car will experience an even greater loss of downforce in dirty air, making following the car in front even more difficult.

Anyway, I’m not going to say too much until we’re a couple of races into the season.

SP
    Participant

The rules were almost completely open, that’s why the designs are so radical. As for debris, there was a minimum weight requirement so I don’t think the cars will suddenly start shedding parts at the slightest contact.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Wow, that looks mad. Prepare for pre-2011 F1 racing.. it’s like adding DRS to GP2, totally unnecessary given how great the action is. @vmaxmuffin

I agree that it’s probably best for Indycar to develop the car in some way – just a shame it’s not the engines. Aero packages by engine companies? That sounds crazy to me. @keithcollantine

Adam Blocker
    Participant

Will they have separate aero kits for the ovals, or just use the default DW12 oval configuration kit?

SP
    Participant

Engines are developed all the time, but because it’s incremental you don’t hear much about it. HPD partnered with Wirth Research (like for their LMP designs) and Chevrolet partnered with Pratt & Miller (best known for their work on the Corvette C7R).

The oval designs will be revealed in April.

Adam Blocker
    Participant

@jb001 Thanks, makes sense.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Honda aero philosophy: Is there an open space on the body? Put a bird wing on it!

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@joey-poey In the tune of Beyonce.. “If you see it then you gotta put a wing on it!” Haha. Montoya “Oh deer”.

@jb001
    OK, that makes sense. I thought Indycar was a spec series last year, car and engines.

SP
    Participant

Honda switched to a twin-turbo layout ahead of 2014, which Chevrolet had been using since 2012. Generally the Honda has been better on street circuits and Chevrolet on ovals, with road courses being a 50:50 split. Honda have also had an edge on fuel efficiency, but with worse reliability (hence Chevy winning the manufacturers championship 3 years running).

GeeMac
    Participant

Wow, we all thought that the pre-2009 F1 aero flip ups were awful, but these really take the biscuit. It’s a shame, I was quite fond of the DW12…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.