IndyCar

2015 IndyCar calendar adds two new races

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

IndyCar has confirmed its 2015 calendar with two new additions at the beginning of the season including a season-opener at Brasilia and another road course for round three, NOLA Motorsports Park in Louisana.

However the loss of Fontana means the season will come to an end at Sonoma instead. The double-header at Houston is also gone. Toronto will revert to being a single race meaning Detroit is the only double-header left on the calendar – to be honest I wouldn’t shed a tear if that too went back to being a single race.

The net result is a reduction from 18 rounds to 17 but the calendar is slightly more spread out due to the earlier start in Brazil.

March 8th – Autodromo Internacional Nelson Piquet, Brasilia, Brazil (road)
    March 29th – Streets of St. Petersburg, Florida (street)
    April 12th – NOLA Motorsports Park, Louisiana (road)
    April 19th – Streets of Long Beach (street)
    April 26th – Barber Motorsports Park (road)
    May 9th – Grand Prix of Indianapolis (road)
    May 24th – Indianapolis 500 (oval)
    May 30th – Raceway at Belle Isle Park (street)
    May 31st – Raceway at Belle Isle Park (street)
    June 6th – Texas Motor Speedway (oval)
    June 14th – Streets of Toronto (street)
    June 27th – Auto Club Speedway (oval)
    July 12th – The Milwaukee Mile (oval)
    July 18th – Iowa Speedway (oval)
    August 2nd – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (road)
    August 23rd – Pocono Raceway (oval)
    August 30th – Sonoma Raceway (road)

SP
    Participant

Fontana (Auto Club) is June 27th as per the list you’ve copied, Keith. Not sure about the placement of Pocono so close to the second Nascar Cup race – I was expecting it to be in July, with Milwaukee ending the season.

Apologies, I wish they wouldn’t keep changing the names of the tracks. Between that one and Sonoma/Infineon/Sears Points it’s hard to keep up.

Glad it’s still there though.

Atticus
    Participant

I like it how IndyCar keeps ovals, road courses and street circuits balanced in its schedule.

If only F1 would do the same, at least across low-, medium- and high-downforce tracks, not to mention a race on an oval (although I understand the latter would mean an oval-spec chassis and in the current financial strain that’s be a tad too much to ask for).

Then again, Indy cars always had their roots in oval racing, so it’s understandable they keep up a significant presence there – and also that fans were outraged, when CART went increasingly for street and road courses only.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Six road races, five street races and six ovals is a fantastic mix, especially with just one double header this year. Compare that to Formula One which has eight Tilkedromes, three street circuits and other low-mid downforce tracks which are generally a good mix, and the Hungaroring. For the sake of us Europeans I am glad that there are just two races which are on at crazy times in the morning. Next season should be fantastic!

Times adjusted to UK time:

March 8th – Autodromo Internacional Nelson Piquet, Brasilia, Brazil (road) – 15:00
    March 29th – Streets of St. Petersburg, Florida (street) – 20:00
    April 12th – NOLA Motorsports Park, Louisiana (road) – 20:00
    April 19th – Streets of Long Beach (street) – 21:00
    April 26th – Barber Motorsports Park (road) – 20:00
    May 9th – Grand Prix of Indianapolis (road) – 20:30
    May 24th – Indianapolis 500 (oval) – 16:00
    May 30th – Raceway at Belle Isle Park (street) – 20:30
    May 31st – Raceway at Belle Isle Park (street) – 20:30
    June 7th – Texas Motor Speedway (oval) – 01:00
    June 14th – Streets of Toronto (street) – 20:00
    June 27th – Auto Club Speedway (oval) – 21:00
    July 12th – The Milwaukee Mile (oval) – 22:00
    July 19th – Iowa Speedway (oval) – 01:00
    August 2nd – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (road) – 18:30
    August 23rd – Pocono Raceway (oval) – 19:00
    August 30th – Sonoma Raceway (road) – 21:00

SP
    Participant

Fontana is the name of the town, the track was originally known as California Speedway until ISC sold the naming rights to Auto Club for 10 years in 2008.

Sonoma is the town, again, Infineon (a semiconductor firm with interests in nearby Silicon Valley) also had a naming deal for the track which expired. It was known as Sears Point from 1967-2001, with the Infineon deal running for 10 years after that. It’ll likely stay as Sonoma Raceway for the time being.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

At first I was like… I thought they demolished the circuit in Rio. I looked at the wiki page and apparently they’re building a new one at another location. Huh.

EDIT: Wait, they’re racing at another track in Brazil using the same name. Dammit, pick more creative names, guys!

MatK77
    Participant

The Brazilian touring cars/stock cars run at Brasilia – I have a feeling it might be a good fit for Indycars. The facilities aren’t exactly state of the art, but half of the track is a sequence of very fast, banked right handers followed by a twisting infield switchback. Overtaking might be tough, but there’s plenty of opportunity for mistakes throughout a lap. Sure beats St. Pete for the opener.

I think Toronto has another major event this year that would shut the city down, there was talk of moving to Mosport as a backup plan. I liked the double at Toronto, the crowds are big and the track always produces action. Hopefully it returns in 2016.

Sad to see Fontana moved to mid-season and finishing up at the usually-dull Sonoma, but if the series is committed to ending before Labor Day, Fontana is a tough sell in the height of summer.

Looks good overall, nice to see a little consistency in the schedule to build up the fan base.

Unfortunately it looks like the season-opener at Brasilia may not go ahead:

Yes it seems it has indeed been cancelled:

SP
    Participant

Why they would cancel it after the track improvements were well underway is a mystery to me (and TV Band’s statement suggests the sanction fee had been paid), but then again CART weren’t paid the last time they went to Brazil…

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

@jb001 The cancellation looks to be due to insufficient funding of the area around the Autodromo Internacional Nelson Piquet. Nothing to do with the track.

Here’s a statement from Indycar Boss, Mark Miles:

“The track sold out all their hospitality, were delighted with ticket sales – sold 2 thirds of all seats with a month to go… It’s a shame, it has nothing to do with the Verizon IndyCar Series, and we were all looking forward to a great start to the year in Brazil.”
    “There’s an appetite for our series in Brazil.”

I really hope Brazil really consolidates its spot in the Indycar schedule soon. I really liked the Anhembi Circuit in Sao Paolo before the Bandeirantes cancelled that event too.

SP
    Participant

Testing footage from NOLA Motorsports Park:

That’s Stefano Coletti in the #7 car with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, in case anyone wondered.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.