IndyCar

Video: Indy Lights driver's close call with flying wheel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Neel Jani
    Participant

At the start of the Indy Lights at St. Petersburg, Lloyd Read had a very close shave when a loose wheel came flying at him at high speeds and narrowly missing his head.

The footage immediately reminded me of Henry Surtees (Brands Hatch, 2009) and Felipe Massa (Hungaroring, 2009) and a grim reminder as to why a fatality is only an inch away!

SP
    Participant

IIRC, that was a suspension failure on Anderson’s car.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Yikes, loose wheels and street circuits don’t mix well.
    A reminder too that safety features on cars aren’t as good as they could be, in series where there’s money-saving Stegosaurus racing going on, and old designs continuing way beyond their original planned lifespan. Not just Indy Lights, but United Sportscar, GP2, AiutoGP and no doubt others.

SP
    Participant

@Bullfrog – The next-gen Lights car is under wind tunnel testing at the moment, the first on-track test is scheduled for May. Also I’m not sure that’s an entirely fair comment given these cars have been built to survive oval wrecks at 200mph…

sato113
    Participant

doesnt look like a complete wheel though. I think it was just the tyre carcas. there was no pressure in the tyre. A tyre which hasn’t burst and still has the rim in the middle is way more dangerous.

Neel Jani
    Participant

@sato113 It was a deflated tire with the rim but at such high speeds, it’s still very dangerous.

http://postimg.org/image/bdwtxlav1/

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Wow.. seeing the mirror bashed in like that.. must be hard to continue racing immediately after such a close shave.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.