IndyCar

IndyCar ”qualifying races” planned for Iowa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

The grid for the IndyCar race at Iowa will be decided by two separate 30-lap races, each comprising half the field:

Race 1 will consist of the even-numbered positions, starting with the 10th-quickest practice time overall, and determine the even-numbered positions in the starting field from 10th down.

Race 2 will consist of the odd-numbered positions, starting with the ninth-quickest practice time overall, and determine the odd-numbered positions in the starting field from ninth down.

Race 3 will consist of drivers ranked one through eight by combined practice times. Results of Race 3 will determine the first four rows, with the winner taking the pole position.

http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/06-June/6-12-Practice-times-set-qual-groups

Interesting novelty or pointless gimmick?

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Interesting Novelty in my opinion. Will just be interesting to see how something different works out.

Mikemat5150
    Participant

I think they used to do heat races in the old days for qualifying on Ovals.

Three races for thirty laps each should be good for the Friday fans. One of the biggest complaints about ovals has been the lack of track activity leading up to the races.

mrgrieves
    Participant

I really wish we could see this in the UK.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Sounds like the needlessly-complicated qualifying format the V8 Supercars used for the 500km enduro.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.