IndyCar

Live positions displayed on cars

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    squaregoldfish
    Participant

Interesting idea from IndyCar – big LED displays on the roll hoop showing the cars’ current position. Primarily for the fans at the track, but I wonder if it will translate to TV as well? I especially like the push-to-pass display so you can tell who’s using their extra oomph button.

http://www.ledinside.com/news/2015/7/indycar_s_new_on_board_led_display_panels_to_track_car_data

BasCB
    Participant

Hm, I must say that it took me some effort to actually notice the numbers on it. Off course part of that is because of watching from on board cameras and part because its something new.

Then again, it certainly doesn’t hurt!

Craig Woollard
    Participant

I like it. It works in Blancpain and it definitely helped (especially with PtP) on Sunday night. It probably won’t have much use on the short ovals except for the pit stop times but I can certainly see the use for it on the big ovals and the road and street courses.

manik56
    Participant

I was at the race sitting 3/4 the way up at the popular turn four. These lasik enhanced eyes could not read the LED display. They looked great on the TV though. Back to the drawing board.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

I was wondering what those at the event itself thought of it, good to hear your views @manik56 on this! I wonder whether it will be used at Pocono and whether it will work better there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.