IndyCar

The new car

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Icthyes
    Participant

Personally I really like the way the new car will look, plus the adoption of turbos, but what really attracts me is the new rules surrounding it. I think it was a good choice to delay these until 2013 so that the teams can get used to the base car next year. But I love the idea of a standard car that can then be added to in aero performance (either by buying aero packages or coming up with their own) – it creates enough of a technical race without creating massive field spreads. With more and more road courses on the calendar it’ll certainly make for an interesting shake-up, kind of like what we saw in 2009 in F1 when cars could jump up the grid because their package suited a certain track.

What do others think?

I think they need to take baby steps with the technical rules because there’s obviously not a lot of money around at the moment.

But I can’t pretend I’m not disappointed with how the new car looks. It doesn’t look like an IndyCar, it doesn’t look like a performance-orientated machine should.

Maybe with a bit of familiarity it’ll improve, maybe one day the aero kits will make it looks less like an exercise in (dubious) aesthetics over function. But I’m not convinced yet, and it’s a source of great disappointment to me as I’m very fond of this series and want to see it do well again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m really a fan of the concept of a standard car that you can then customise yourself with the Aero Kits. It was a shame to see them delayed by a year, but I agree with Keith that baby steps are what is needed, and having a year racing the car in its default state gives everyone a good baseline to work from when coming up with their own. Hopefully more and more teams/companies will offer the kits. Hopefully it will work so well that it becomes a model that other spec series may adopt. I think it’s a brilliant idea.

Also tripling the number of engine manufacturers in the series can only be a good thing as well. 2010 having been my first season of properly watching IndyCars, I’ve enjoyed the races and the way the series goes about things, and I’m very much looking forward to next season.

MrE004

I don’t normally comment too much on stuff on here. Apologies to that but I’m normally more of a reader and then my feelings have already been shared (sort of). As soon as I saw the options for this “how should the new Indycar look” I instantly liked the DeltaWing. I think that’s a fantastic looking car, would really have been a statement of intent from the Americans about what they really want from the Indycar series.

The main thing that I think will really show up, what i believe was a mistake on Indycar’s part, will be if DeltaWing wins Le Mans next year.

Sorry that I haven’t expanded the subject or anything much here, but other than the little bit of IndyCar I’ve watched I don’t know enough about regs and such like.

Polishboy808
    Participant

I love the idea, even though it is a bit confusing at the moment. So are the Lotus engines gonna be renamed Judd, or are they gonna be two seperate names using the same engines? Will the Chevy and Lotus/Judd engines be limited on to the same amount of boost with their dual turbocharged engines as Honda is with its single? And since this years body is fully designed by Dallara, when will other manufactures be able to design their aero?

Also, since their are only like 6 ovals next year, does this mean that Power will be guranteed the championship?

MJRoberts55
    Participant

I can’t understand why any championship would ask their teams to go down the route of the aero development? Yes, there is of course the horrific costs involved with model building / wind tunnel testing although I guess the fact you have to sell the kits for a set price will take care of that. My real concern is why would you modulate a part of the package that so directly affects overtaking? Can’t get my head around that. The issue you will have is, just like in F1, everything will be driven by aero and you can’t back out a few years later because the big teams will invest in more and more kit and they can’t justify not using it.

What I do like about the Indycar is that it is a purer racing car than a modern day F1 car, i.e. it has no DRS solution.

Mikemat5150
    Participant

The saving grace of the aero kits is (besides maybe engine man. blocking kits to rival companies) teams will have to make them available to any team.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

I’m not gonna lie: I hate the look of the new car. I’ve never been a fan of the futuristic speed racer body styling. If the teams do begin to move away from the default aero, I hope they move it back towards something less garish and tacky.

Other than that, I am hopeful at the promise of engine competition returning. It may yet return to no longer being such a spec series.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.