NASCAR

Is it OK to use a racing driver's death for an advert?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I’m in two minds about this new television advert which is getting heaps of praise on social media.

On one hand it’s a well-produced tribute to NASCAR’s most popular driver Dale Earnhardt Jnr packed with archive footage. It’s a bit mawkish although that’s just a matter of taste.

But what doesn’t sit right with me about the advert is how it incorporates of Earnhardt’s father’s death. The story is basically: ‘Hey this guy’s dad died but then he won some races so go buy our beer’.

Turning a fatality into a marketing opportunity is a bit distasteful, isn’t it? Interested to hear what you think.

Scottie
    Participant

Well, as a general rule, it’s certainly not good marketing to use death in promotion.
    However, This ad doesn’t actually use the footage of the crash and pays more homage to Dale Jnr’s career and the role his father played in it.

I think in this context it was OK and I like the ad. But if the crash footage had been used and the context been a little different, I would have felt differently.

kwacky1
    Participant

It’s a good story and what’s a story without drama? Couldn’t give a rats about the beer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.