Off-topic

How to improve the Race of Champions?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I watched the Race of Champions over the weekend and as usual I was fairly underwhelmed by the spectacle.

Which doesn’t seem right because at the end of the day this is a load of top-flight drivers from a range of series taking each other on in identical cars. I’ve been trying to figure out why I didn’t find it particularly exciting.

I think part of the problem was that because they set off in opposite directions I didn’t have much of a feel for who was winning at any point. The commentators seemed to have the same problem, and as a result they often weren’t really talking about what the drivers were doing. Some aspects of the format seemed to confuse them as well.

Oh, and those trucks were just dog slow and not fun to watch. I can’t help but think that this is the sort of format where an electric car would be great.

What did you think of the Race of Champions? Is there room for improvement – and if so how? What were the highlights of this year’s event?

Ben Needham
    Participant

I agree with everything you’ve said. It’s essentially a simultaneous time trial, but without being able to track who’s ahead at any given point. It’d almost be better to have them do it one after the other so that one driver lays down a time and split times can be given to see how they compare. This would surely mean the commentators can get more enthusiastic about it, which would translate to us at home.

It’s also called the ‘Race of Champions’ and obviously many of the entrants fit the bill (if we’re counting lower formula’s and Formula E etc.), but it would be good to see some bigger names enter. Vettel and Kristensen were really the only ones you could class as box office (perhaps Newgarden and Hunter-Reay) and it’s always good to see Coulthard racing (though he hasn’t been a “champion” for nearly 30 years…).

Feel free to prepare me a tin foil hat… but I was also suspicious about the population of Mexican’s in the semi-finals at their home event…

Paul Gawne
    Participant

Having been to a couple of these events, It definitely works much better with the bridge & crossover in the track as previous years. That works much better as you get a feel for who’s ahead and it builds excitement in the crowd watching.

I think you are right Keith about the vehicles, I’ve always thought it’d be fun to introduce a bike to the range too

Lastly, I think the time of year is a nightmare, ROC always worked better in December as a true end of season finale

Of course being stuck behind a paywall in the UK (sky sports) didn’t help either.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.