Off-topic

London Olympics 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    robk23
    Participant

@fer-no65 The 2012 Olympic logo will always look like Lisa Simpson sucking someone off to me…

Fer no.65
    Participant

@robk23 I saw that somewhere and I cannot take it out of my mind. I just can’t see the logo being anything else LOL.

matt90
    Participant

Hi guys. As a Brit, I was wondering what the international reception to the ceremony was. And yes, that logo will never be anything other than that in my mind, no matter how hard I try…

Fer no.65
    Participant

I watched it all with a friend and we both liked some bits but others were very boring. And quite strange.

I guess it must make much more sense for british people. For example, the bit with the kids in the hospital, it was boring (tho I saw @keithcollantine said something about NHS being very important to you guys, so I guess it makes sense). Then the demons appeared and it was rock n’ roll again, heh!.

As a rock (mostly british) fan, I loved the bit when they went through most generations of music, from The Who to Blur. And as an Arctics Monkeys fan, I really hated the sound ! . It probably was good in the stadium, but on the telly it sounded very bad (same with Paul, there was a lot of echo)! Plus, I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor isn’t my top AM’s tune. Why not The View from the Afternoon or A Certain Romance ? But hey, that’s just me.

All in all, I liked it a lot more than Shanghai 2008, and miles ahead of Atlanta 1996 (can’t get worse than that). But maybe it’s because my life is much more tied to british culture than to Chinese, Australian or American culture.

Fer no.65
    Participant

Another thing: it was seriously strange to listen to Sex Pistols’ God Save the Queen with the Queen herself attending the show. xD

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Does anybody else think that the Opening Ceremony of the 2016 Games will feature Bruno Senna driving a McLaren MP4/4 into the Olympic Stadium as part of the opening ceremony? If the Senna documentary is to be believed – and I see no reason why it shouldn’t be – a big part of Ayrton’s popularity in his home country had to do with his success on the international stage when his country was a military dictatorship. Even if motorsport isn’t an Olympic discipline, I don’t think it’s something the Brazilians should (or would) overlook.

As for Motorsport in general, I think it being integrated into the Olympics is possible & plausible, maybe adopting something likened to the Race of Champions. Finding drivers from other racing categories (not F1 because the Olympics normally takes place during their summer break) is a feeble area but that can be fixed I believe. This is just a reasonable idea.

The problem with that is that the Olympics is supposed to be for amateur athletes. I know the Americans send the NBA “Dream Team”, and the likes of Maria Sharapova attend the tennis, but I think that if motorsport is to be accepted, it would absolutely have to be an amateur sport because it inclusion would likely be controversial. Motorsport at the Olympics would probably have to take the form of a go-kart race (which is hardly a bad thing – after all, Senna described it as pure racing). And it would probably have to be on a standardised circuit, like cycling and speed skating.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys as a sportman and a national symbol, Senna surely is up there. It’d be very very special for us petrolheads to have at least a reference about him. Even if, yes, motorsport isn’t an Olympic sport (cricket isn’t either, and they got to show it today).

As for motorsport being part of the olympics again (we always end up in that discussion every 4 years) I guess karting or rallying could well be part of the Olympics. F1, not a chance, but karting, yeah, why not?.

The problem is that they don’t seem to like the idea of having “engines”, at all. Firstly, I guess it goes a bit against the spirit of the Olympics, even if I don’t entirely agree with that view. And secondly, it’d not be that “green”, which nowadays is quite a subject…

David-A
    Participant
    the_sigman
    Participant

Fabulous opening ceremony!

robk23
    Participant

The opening ceremony was watched by 26.9m people in the UK, around 42% of the population.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is that a blow diffuser shot?

F1Yankee
    Participant

i generally don’t like olympic ceremonies, superbowl halftime shows, or any of that nonsense. rowan atkinson was good and after that i totally lost interest and put on black books, which i should have watched years ago.

also,
    the olympics stopped being about bogus amateur status 20 years ago, and rightfully so.

motorsports will never be an IOC event – beast power only.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

@fer-no65 – They actually played Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols, not God Save the Queen. I don’t know if you know the history of the song in the UK but it has a fairly controversial past, which is probably why they didn’t play it despite it being it their best known song and with London Calling one of the iconic punk songs.

All in all I have to say I’m with the Queen on the opening ceremony, every time they cut to her she looked bored out of her mind. The bit at the end where they lit the cauldron was fantastic, but they could have saved themselves 3 and a half hours of preamble and just done that…

It also annoyed me that every announcement was done in French before English, I mean this is an Olympic games in London after all. I know its because the president of the IOC is French, but it didn’t seem right to me.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

Also have to say it was horrible to see how unwell Muhammad Ali now looks, he is one of the icons of sport of the last century and he looks really frail now.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@debaser91 They played God Save the Queen too. At the beginning, when the cameras were following the Thames river up to the stadium.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.