Off-topic

London Olympics 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • Author

I’ve got the cycling on while I fiddle away on the F1 Fanatic test site. The Keirin is a curious event – it’s a bit like a wet F1 race with the safety car staying out too long. Why do they have the ‘pace bike’?

Fer no.65
    Participant

I was wondering what was that guy in the white bike doing. So, it’s a ‘pace bike’?

I’m not into cycling. What’s it for? Why is he there?

necrodethmortem
    Participant

First of all, it’s called a Derny. Second, I don’t really know why they are there, only that they’ve pretty much always been a part of track cycling. I guess they’re meant to give the race a more tactical aspect and to reward timing and explosiveness. They’re also used for slipstreaming at full speed (well over 50 mph), don’t know whether that’s an Olympic discipline or not.

I presume Dernys were introduced to make six-day-races more diverse.

Younger Hamii
    Participant

The Keirin is a curious event – it’s a bit like a wet F1 race with the safety car staying out too long. Why do they have the ‘pace bike’?

Strangely I kept calling the derny or ‘pace bike’ the ‘safety bike’. Cycling resembles so much of Motorsport for me from my perspective, because they’re both the former & the latter are pure racing. I think the derny increases the intensity of the Keirin.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Why do they have the ‘pace bike’?

What’s it for? Why is he there?

I believe the idea is that the pacer is there for strategy. Rather than simply sprinting from start to finish, the pacer controls the first phase of the race to let everyone get into position for the second phase, which comes when the pacer peels off. The riders at the front have the advantage of track position, but expend more energy getting there. The riders at the back have to make up track position at the end, but can sprint harder. The riders essentially have to choose where they want to be on the circuit before the pacer leaves and lets the field break away.

necrodethmortem
    Participant

Actually the advantage of being at the back is that the others in front can’t see when there’s an attack, so if there’s an attack from the back, the attacker has a speed advantage by the time (s)he reaches the front, because the front-runners will still be accelerating, because they reacted later. Of course, you don’t want to be stuck at the back when there’s an attack from the front. Also, if you attack too early, chances are that the followers will catch up with you because of the slip stream, so like I said, it’s all about timing. Always good fun this, one of my favorite events of the Olympics.

matt90
    Participant

Yeah, Pendleton attacked very early yesterday, meaning those behind her came close to coming back at her.

Fer no.65
    Participant

I know it’s been long discussed elsewhere. But what do you guys think of Pistorius?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I see Australia has been flattened this Olympics, particularly in the pool. Honestly, I’m not bothered by it. In fact, I think we needed a disappointing run. There is far too much in the way of pressure and expectations piled onto our athletes, and a lot of the broadcast media in particular seem to think the only way to represent your country is to win lots of medals. I was watching the rowing last night when Great Britain beat Australia in the men’s coxless fours and the commentators kept talking about how the Australian team was drawing closer and closer to the British crew, and that it would surely go right down to the wire – but looking back over the race, Great Britain maintained a gap of 0.6 seconds over the entire field from the 500m mark. Likewise, the commentators were prepared to call the women’s triathlon two kilometres from the end of the race and award Erin Densham the gold medal, but in the last few hundred metres, Nicola Spirig and Lisa Norden broke free and relegated Densham to third.

But if you want an athlete who epitomises Australia’s attitude to the Games, look no further than James Magnussen (I’m embarrassed to admit I was born in the same town as him). He lost the men’s 100m freestyle to Nathan Adrian by just a tenth of a second, and then stood on the podium and pouted. He just won a silver medal, for crying out loud! I can understand the disappointment at being beaten like that, and that knowing your personal best would be enough to win the gold, but to say in an interview that you were expecting to win is outrageous. Compare that to Cristina Iovu and Anatolie Ciricu, who both won bronze medals for the tiny eastern European nation of Moldova – they were exhilirated just to be at the Olympics, and I have it on good authority (my best friend is Moldovan) that the entire nation went bonkers when they won bronze.

I think the Australians need to take a good, hard look at themselves before the Games in Rio. I’m embarrassed by their attitude, which I find to be the antithesis of one of the nation’s core values: fair play in the spirit of competition. I’ll go ahead and say it: we’re a bunch of sore losers.

But what do you guys think of Pistorius?

There’s techncially nothing preventing a double amputee from entering the Olympics. It’s not the first time something like this has happened – there was an Australian fencer in Beijing who was deaf, and he claimed it helped his concentration, though he needed a visual cue to tell him when to take position or when a hit had been registered. Pistorius should be allowed to run.

katederby
    Participant

Had a fantastic day at the rowing yesterday at Eton Dorney… such brilliant athletes and races, 2 gold and a silver out of the 3 races including British crews. The emotion and spirit of live sport just can’t be beaten.

matt90
    Participant

Hard not to be inspired by Britain’s greatest ever day/hour at the Olympics. Ennis had to win- she had so much pressure being essentially the face of the Olympics, I can’t imagine how she would have felt if she hadn’t backed it up with gold.

Bullfrog
    Participant

The marathon drinks stations remind me of a pit lane, with all the countries’ crews lined up with the drinks, and a sign for each flag telling the runners where to go.

London’s looking great this morning – I guess with all the safety fencing an F1 race could never look this good, even in Bernie and Santander’s wildest dreams.

Fer no.65
    Participant

YAY! Del Potro beated Djokovic :D!

And Murray’s beating Federer in style!!

Broom
    Participant

What an awesome weekend for Team GB. Delighted for Ennis after all the pressure she was under after missing out in Beijing and for Farah, I went crazy as he went for it on the final straight.

Then Murray managed to destroy the great Roger Federer on Centre Court. Hope he can finally get that elusive slam. And to top it all off – Bolt in 100m, wow!

It really has been one of the best weekends of Sport (that excludes F1 :D) I’ve seen.

matt90
    Participant

I’ll second that, Broom. Came so close to getting several more golds too, particularly in the mens gymnastics pommel horse. And to back PM’s claim of Australia having a poor time, I saw an article saying that Yorkshire alone has more medals than Australia, although it used the dubious claims that one of the golds was from one yorkshireman who was actually part of one of the rowing teams.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.