Off-topic

Most enjoyable races of 2012?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    robk23
    Participant

With most championships having concluded by now, here is my summary of a races I enjoyed watching the most during 2012. These are the races that necessarily produced the best racing, but they’re certainly the ones that kept me entertained! Here are my top 5.

1. GP3 Series Round 16, Monza
    The title decider between Mitch Evans and Daniel Abt has to been the best motor race I’ve seen in a while, I was on the edge of the sofa as the championship lead switched between the pair. Evans was fighting his way up from the back while Abt did what he had to do which was win. Tio Ellinas caused plenty of trouble for the German in the latter half of the race, Ellinas took his first win but it was an almighty scrap for the lead. Giovanni Venturini finishing third on his home turf and there was a battle for the rear end of the points.

2. British Touring Car Championship Round 30, Brands Hatch GP
    Most people had gone home after the title was decided but those who stayed were in for a treat. Even though the weather wasn’t great, the clouds and the rain did manage to produce a low light race which looked beautiful for those at the track. Seeing the headlights piercing the spray was reminiscent of Le Mans and there’s not much chance that this sight will be repeated. To see another new winner was a bonus.

3. Formula 1 Brazilian Grand Prix, Interlagos
    Until the weekend the Malaysian Grand Prix was my favourite, but with racing at the front, in the middle and at the back of the field, there really wasn’t much of a reason to look away from the race at Interlagos. I was happy to see Hulkenberg up at the front and disappointed when he collided with Hamilton but the important thing was it was very uncertain who would win and it wasn’t one driver dominating. The Caterham vs Marussia battle kept things lively at the rear, while there were a few other fun moments (Kimi I’m talking about you).

4. World Touring Car Championship Race of Hungary, Race 2, Hungaroring
    Alright so there wasn’t much in the way of overtaking but seeing 50,000 Hungarian fans cheering on their local hero to victory was reminiscent of a Grand Prix. I enjoyed Norbi’s great start to take the lead at the first corner and the fact that the normally dominant Chevrolets were slower than some of the independent drivers in front of them. Menu got through to second to keep the championship battle alive as Muller went off on the last lap.

5. Superstars Series Round 16, Pergusa
    Admittedly only one of two races I watched this year but still a good one. It was another title decider and Johan Kristofferson was leading the title chase and it all looked good for him until the first major crash. This put Tonio Liuzzi into the championship lead until he too crashed and the championship swung back towards Kristofferson. I’ve been following Johan a lot this year with him being in contention for titles in three series and then taking them all.

So over to everyone else, has anyone else got any particular favourites?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.