Off-topic

What was the best race you saw in 2015 – in any category?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

With the motor racing season drawing to a close (apart from Formula E, which begins afresh this weekend), it’s time to reflect on the best action of 2015.

With that in mind, what were the best races you saw this year in any category? We’ve followed dozens of series this year in the Weekend Racing Wraps but there are hundreds more championships beyond it where great racing can be found.

Add your nominations for the best races of 2015 below and the top choices may feature in a future article. Do include videos of your favourite races but please keep to just one video per post.

Victor_RO
    Participant

First vote for WEC Silverstone 2015. Amazing battle for the lead for lap after lap after lap after lap between Audi and Porsche.

andae23
    Participant

Formula 3 Race 1 at Spa was pretty good (the race after the Monza shenanigans)

hunocsi
    Participant

Two wheels allowed? Because yesterday’s MotoGP race in Australia is definitely a contender, with Iannone as a highlight.

Aditya
    Participant

I have three nominations, all of it from MotoGP: Losail, Assen, and Phillip Island.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

There’s so many contenders for this, and zero of them are Formula One. Says a lot really.

I will start with both the 4 Hours of Silverstone and the 6 Hours of Silverstone. The ELMS race there went down to pretty much the final lap, with three cars in contention with half an hour to go. Likewise with the WEC race a day later, after a late penalty to the number seven Audi really set things up quite nicely. There was also a truly epic battle up front between Audi #7 and Porsche #18.

(cannot find highlights for the 4 Hour race)

Secondly, I will put forward both the Buenos Aires and Miami ePrixs. The former saw an epic race of attrition which affected both Seb Buemi and Lucas di Grassi, whilst Miami produced an unexpected near-win for Scott Speed.

IndyCar had a very controversial MAVTV 500 this year, but it did produce 80 changes for the lead and an incredible number of overtakes. I would also stick the Pocono 500 here, but it does not seem right to. However Toronto was also a cracker. (I feel these highlights don’t do justice though)

The Formula Renault 3.5 race at Monaco was pretty good. Mostly made by Oliver Rowland being totally awesome and producing more overtakes around Monaco than I’ve ever seen before.

The British Touring Car Championship title finale was absolutely brilliant too. Gordon Shedden worked his way up from 19th to steal the title from Jason Plato.

(No highlights yet)

If two wheels are allowed, most of the Moto 3 and some of the MotoGP races would also be serious contenders here.

I think however that the MAVTV 500 wins it for me. Controversial, yes, but exciting, certainly.

@craig-o Thanks but please do keep it to one video per post or the page load time will be horrendous :-)

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

The MAVTV 500’s “Vintage IRL” style of racing did nothing for me. This race, however? Phenomenal. (And I was there!)

Adam Blocker
    Participant

The best three for me so far have been the Hungarian GP, the Indy 500, and the Dutch TT. Hungary had a lot of incidents, overtaking, and unpredictability. Indy had some great wheel-to-wheel action and a fantastic battle for the win during the last 10 laps (as usual), and Assen had a fantastic battle between Marquez and Rossi, especially on the final lap.

Indy 500 finish

F1 Hungary 2015

InSilico_
    Participant

Indy 500 for me was more enjoyable than all of the races in Formula One 2015 combined.

PorscheF1
    Participant

I really enjoyed the Blancpain Endurance race at Paul Ricard this year although I cannot nominate it for the single reason how wide they had to at the end of the mistral.

So maybe below? A contender but not the best I’d say…

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Apologies @keithcollantine I shall bear that in mind!

Also how could I forget the Bathurst 12 Hours? What a phenomenal finish that was @xtwl

glynh
    Participant

The best races in F1 were between Monacco,Britain, Hungary and Russia for me. Monacco was only edge of the seat racing at the end though. If I had to pick one then Hungary probably edges it.

The Formula E final in London was another one I really enjoyed but a lot of that was because the championship went down to the wire although the racing was good to.

Rallycross has my favourite races at the moment but they’re so short it’s hard to remember an individual one when you get so many in a weekend. There have been a few where multiple cars have crashed then gone on to good positions though if I had to pick.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

BTCC Race Three at Donington was a cracker:

And as someone else mentioned, the final race at Brands Hatch GP was just incredible. The atmosphere at the circuit too, immense!

Carlitox
    Participant

@bradley13 You beat me to it! That BTCC race is a strong contender not only for best race of the year, but of the decade. I was screaming the whole time!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.