Off-topic

When team mates collide

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg’s unfortunate mishap on lap one yesterday wasn’t the first time two team mates have taken each other out and it won’t be the last.

But it got me wondering just how commonplace this sort of thing is and how many examples of it we can find. Here’s the first one which sprang to my mind: Timo Glock and Andreas Zuber tangling on the front row of the grid at Magny-Cours in 2007:

Girts
    Participant

When we were young, hehehe… A collision between Prost team mates Jean Alesi and Nick Heidfeld from 2000:

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

In more recent times, Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton Canada 2011 comes to mind, as well as Vettel and Webber in Turkey 2010

PorscheF1
    Participant

Nasr and Ericcson in Bahrein this season? Grosjean and GUT in Spain too. Palmer and Magnussen in Spain too.

JackySteeg
    Participant

The only thing that could make taking out your own teammate worse is when that teammate also happens to be your boss.

HUHHII
    Participant

Montoya and R.Schumacher (USA 2002, Europe 2004), Montoya and Räikkönen (USA 2006), Coulthard and Häkkinen (Austria 1999)

sam3110
    Participant

Didn’t one force India take out the other in Korea a few years ago?

I was thinking we need a points system for these to assess which was worst: 0 points if both drivers keep going, 1 if one driver retires, 2 if both retire.

In which case this was nearly a three-pointer:

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Here’s a fairly recent one:

Two Chip Ganassi cars coming into contact as Charlie Kimball (cyan-coloured car) shoves team leader and championship contender Scott Dixon (red car) off into retirement.

WheelToWheel
    Participant

Chilton and bianchi in Canada 2014, (I believe that’s three marks)

paulgilb
    Participant

Mark Webber and Christian Klien in Brazil 2004 (the last race for Jaguar under that name). Webber (who caused the crash) was eliminated, Klien had to pit but was able to continue.

barkun
    Participant

Fittipaldi – Martini in Monza 1993 remains one of the most epic; last lap and both managed to cross the finish line !!

barkun
    Participant

Hakkinen – Coulthard in Austria 1999 (sorry for the low quality vid)

barkun
    Participant

does this count? Monza, 1995: Gerhard Berger (Ferrari) has his suspension smashed by his team-mate Jean Alesi’s onboard camera (they were 1st and 2nd). Alesi later retired as well.

Another favourite: Toyota craziness from the BTCC at Silverstone in 1993, with superb Murray Walker commentary:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.