Off-topic

Why there's no proper racing championship during (N-hemisphere) winter time?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Istvan Simon
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about it for a long time now: Why there’s no car racing (I mean a proper world championship) during the European and North American winter time? Back in the ’70s and early ’80s we’ve had official F1 Grand Prix races in Argentina, Brazil and South Africa in January and February. Yes, I know that back in those days the rate of technical development was much slower, so F1 teams could have raced the previous year’s car in the early GPs of the new season. The new car was raced only in the Spring events, after the team was convinced it was reliable and quick enough to do so.

What I still don’t get is the following: Motor racing these days is a multi-million dollar global business. There are several professional teams (in F1, IndyCar, in touring cars or sportscar racing) that would be able to participate in a winter series – if it was organised or (at least) sanctioned by the FIA. We should have a proper winter championship, attending countries where the weather is fine from November until March. Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Thailand, Malaysia, Bahrain, Qatar – just to name a few. TV ratings would go sky-high as there would be no rival motor racing championship to watch…

HUHHII
    Participant

Formula E is running during winter time and WRC season usually starts in January. I guess they count as proper world championships.
    A1GP used to run in winter time as well as GP2 Asia, but they weren’t massive successes.

Istvan Simon
    Participant

Yeah, I know that, of course. But I mean, Formula-e intends to be a crossover championship, starting in November and finishing in July. Still, how many Formula-e races have we seen so far? Hong Kong and maybe another one. It’s mid-January, Morocco is next, this will only be the 3rd round, and the championship started in November.

Same with WRC. The last round is usually held late October/early November in Wales or Australia. The first round of the new season is the Monte Carlo Rally, end of January. Where are the races in November and December? I completely understand that people working in WRC and for the WRC teams have families. They need to recharge their batteries in the winter months. That’s exactly why I’m asking for a proper WINTER series, with regular races from late October till late March. The GP2 Asia Series has been closest to this idea so far.

Istvan Simon
    Participant

Just checked the Formula-e calendar. We’ve had only one event (with 2 races) in Hong Kong so far, in the early days of December. After six weeks of nothing going on in the series, round 2 in Morocco is next. See my point?

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

I think the real answer is that motorsport is very much based in ‘Western’ countries where December is a holiday period, and so it’s a good time for people to have time off work and fans are likely occupied with other things. Also, in Europe and much of the US conditions are too cold for circuit racing, whereas in Southern hemisphere countries where motorsport is popular (like Australia, and I assume most of South America) conditions are too hot (whereas our winters are much milder and appropriate for racing). The one exception is New Zealand, which does in fact have several championships that run over Southern summer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.