World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)

Morocco WTCC track to have major overhaul

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Morocco’s World Touring Car Championship track in Marrakech is set for a major overhaul courtesy of Hermann Tilke. And that probably can’t be a bad thing as the original course is one of the dullest in motor racing.

The track will go from this:

To this:

That looks a lot more promising to me!

Atticus
    Participant

It looks very positive indeed.

Granted, it was probably the easiest thing to improve upon the original ‘design’, it was that bleak, but the re-design looks eye-catching on its own.

Two features stand out for me.

1) The layout shows Tilke finally began to experiment with longer radius corners (T1, T3) instead of making everything point-and-squirt as is his trademark.

2) But most importantly, he seems to have somehow gotten a hunch to try including flat-out or near flat-out curves leading onto straightaways which worked out so well in Populous’ Silverstone re-design – and which is a philosophy I’m long since an advocate of. I’d wager fans will see plenty of overtaking attempts going into T7 and T1.

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

@atticus-2 I agree. I really hope this is something Tilke will be looking to implement in more future tracks.

Unicron
    Participant

I was fooled by having the two images next to each other there, too me a while to work out the scale is very different and that the current start finish straight will be more than halved in size. I think I read that the new layout will be around 1 mile shorter. So the new circuit will be a tight little track but yes definitely an improvement on the straight/chicane/straight/chicane etc layout that is currently there.

The drivers are racing there this weekend’s here’s an onboard lap of the circuit narrated and driven by Tom Coronel:

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

Looks like quite a fun circuit, well suited to that type of touring car. I don’t know if the racing will be the best, given the tightness of the track, it should be a fun driver’s track. And there are some longish straights with heavy braking zones so there should be some passing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.