The 2002 F1 season provided little in the way of quality racing action that might have formed the basis for an exciting season review. Even so, the official 2002 video is a stinker.
Most of the races were dreary processions won with ridiculous ease by Ferrari. The contest was so one-sided we even had the despairing sight of races being fixed in Austria and America.
It’s not likely that even a first-rate production could have salvaged the dreary material, and what we get falls well short of that. Yes, the picture quality is very good, but we can take that for granted these days.
The commentary, typically of this era of videos, is in a contrived “as the action happens” style which sounds dreadful. An unpleasant viewing experience is completed by intrusive background music which crashes into the footage with jarring regularity.
If you’re putting a collection of these videos together, put this one at the bottom of your wish list. There is nothing to recommend aboutt it.
Best bit: The spectacular first-corner crash in Australia was pretty much the only highlight in a rigidly dull season.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- “Schumacher” – Michael Schumacher Netflix biopic reviewed
- “F1 2021”: The official Formula 1 game reviewed
- “Indy Split: The Big Money Battle that Nearly Destroyed Indy Racing” reviewed
- “Formula E: Racing for the Future” reviewed
- “Mosley: It’s Complicated” – Max Mosley biopic reviewed
- Moto GP 21 – The official Moto GP game reviewed
- “Formula 1 Car by Car 1990-99” reviewed
- “Mr Le Mans”: Tom Kristensen autobiography reviewed
- “A Little Bit Sideways”: Reissued insider account of nineties NASCAR reviewed
- Netflix’s “Drive to Survive” season three: Spoiler-free review