Daniil Kvyat has been given a formal warning by the stewards for impeding Kevin Magnussen during qualifying.
They also noted AlphaTauri did not give Kvyat advanced warning that Magnussen was approaching.
“The stewards observed that Kvyat affected Magnussen, but had to determine if this met the definition in the rule that it was ‘unnecessary impeding.’,” they noted.
“The team did not warn Kvyat of Magnussen’s approach until Magnussen was directly behind. The stewards considered whether Kvyat took reasonable actions to avoid impeding.
“Having reviewed the video, both drivers agreed that Kvyat did everything possible to get out of the way and reacted at the first possible moment from when he could have seen the car behind.
“Ultimately the stewards compared this incident to all the other cases in the last three years and while the team certainly could have done a better job and thus a warning is issued, this incident does not merit a three grid place penalty, which is the usual penalty for clearly unnecessary impeding.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton