Esteban Ocon expects challenging conditions when F1 returns to the Nurburgring this weekend, when cold and wet weather is forecasted.
“I think it’s going to be quite spicy,” Ocon predicted. “I have a few friends who raced the 24 hours of the Nurburgring, it doesn’t look too good.
“We are going there obviously two weeks [later] so potentially it’ll be even more cold. So it’s going to be completely different for the tyres, obviously, to get them to temperature, for the car set-up. And anything can happen going back to Europe and north of Europe with a bit of rain and stuff.”
Renault’s performance in wet conditions earlier this year gives Ocon confidence about his chances this weekend.
“We know we are quite capable of doing well on the rain,” he said. “The car’s been strong in Barcelona, in winter testing in the rain. I qualified fifth in Austria in the rain. So if it rains, we should be in decent shape as well.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton