British Touring Car Championship

Turbo – NA Parity

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Don Mateo
    Participant

It’s been one of the season’s biggest controversies and Jason Plato in particular has let rip about it whenever he’s been in front of a camera, especially if he’s had a bad day, but what do we think about the way parity between turbo and NA cars has been handled this year?

Personally I’ve found Jason Plato’s rants rather tiresome this season, he’s often come across as a sore loser, and I felt his case was somewhat undermined by the fact that he still had a fair few victories to his name. However, at times the performace advantage of turbos was quite obvious (Oulton Park sticks in my mind, and of course the incident at Knockhill), and teams like Tech Speed and WSR with NA cars that should have been near the front seemed to be struggling for results.

I can understand the frustrations of Plato and others who were promised parity at the start of the season and appeared not to get it, and annoying as Plato’s rants have been, there has been a genuine issue to address.

It was always going to be difficult for the organisers to balance the performance of 3 different types of car. I think they were a bit slow to respond at first, but the last few races have been much closer and they seem to have got a better balance. My only gripe is that they seem to have come down harder on the NGTC cars in the last round just as they were starting to show some promise, and after all, these are the cars that eventually everyone will have to have.

I’m actually glad Plato is still in the title hunt, as it shows that the perfomance equalisation has become more effective as the season has progressed, but if he loses the title I wonder how much he’ll blame the lack of parity earlier in the season.

Hopefully next season there won’t be so many issues and the championship can be a straight fight between drivers without such issues confusing the picture.

Anyay, apologies for the essay, what does everyone else think?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.