F1

BBC’s Top 20 F1 drivers ever (list)

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 365 total)
  • Author
    mnmracer
    Participant

Your point is that Alonso is considered the way he is by some because in the best car, he showed he is dominant. Taking that very same standard, Vettel is equally skilled, as he too was dominant in the best car. You are assessing skill by dominance, not by not-dominance.

Kingshark
    Participant

Alonso is currently 34 points ahead of Webber and 44 points ahead of Vettel, with a car that was a dog at the start of the season and is still only the 3rd-4th best car on the grid. Vettel has had the most consistent and best car this year yet he’s still nearly 2 wins behind Alonso.

If Alonso drove the RB7 last season, he’d make Vettel’s 2011 season look like Rosberg’s 1982 season. Trust me, if Vettel went to Ferrari Alonso would make him his puppy.

I have no idea how Vettel can be ahead of Alonso with both drivers being at this point of their respective careers.

S.J.M
    Participant

Alonso is in the top10. Im not a fan of him as a person, but his skills as a driver and a racer are sublime and I cant fault him at all.

I honestly thought however, aside from Schumacher, he would be the highest places current driver. I wonder now, if there is a 4th 2012 grid driver in the list, or it was an initial mistake on the BBC websites part. Looking at who will be, and who should be on the next 9 spots, if there’s a current driver to even shoehorn into it.

mnmracer
    Participant

Trust you? Ah well, why didn’t you just tell me before? Now you have me totally convinced, especially with the excellent reasoning behind it.
    /sarcasm off

When, as you say, you have no idea, it might be fruitful to expand your mind. Try and see things from different perspectives, and try to understand why people feel and think the way they do. An open mind can be very liberating ;)

Kingshark
    Participant

I think that the current drivers champioship positions, combined with the fact that Ferrari has been slower than Red Bull throughout most of the season proves my point without any elaboration needed.

Sure, Vettel was unlucky in Malaysia and Europe and should have 37 more points than he has, but Alonso lost 15 points in Canada due Ferrari’s incompitant strategy. If Vettel is really as a good as Alonso then why isn’t he up there with Fred in the championship, even with counting misfortunes and Red Bull being better than Ferrari throughout most of the season?

The answer is very simple – Alonso is a better driver.

raymondu999
    Participant

@mnmracer @kingshark come on now – either you two get a room, or agree to disagree. You’re fighting over the opinion of someone who you’ve probably never seen before, and make mistakes like all humans, and you’re arguing about it over an internet forum.

It’s not like winning the argument is going to affect the current WDC or even anything at all, other than ruining the other guy’s perception of you.

mnmracer
    Participant

As always, I only fight double standards ;) Unfortunately, my relentless faith in humanity stops me from giving up and hoping that one day, a discussion on the internet is possible without double standards.
    For instance, saying Alonso was unlucky with strategy in Canada, but Vettel wasn’t, when they had the exact same thing happen to them, is as clear a double standard as they come.

But I have brought this up before, how ‘his car is so slow’ is just a self-fulfilling prophecy with little substantiation, and then also, it just spiralled into the very flawed argument I brought up.

F1Rollout
    Participant

Vettel ahead of Alonso? The list has lost its credibility. I am no more wasting time on it now.

Frain stermin
    Participant

the real question is : are the British media in the position to give neutral opinion about Alonso??
    the answer in NO.

@fanser Not all British people nor all members of the media are inclined to think the same way. Don’t tar everyone with the same brush. And that goes for any nationality.

Frain stermin
    Participant

@Keith Collantine U are 100% right. i didn’t mean to offend somebody or media, and also i don,t want to be in bad relationship with other members of these blog..:).
    I know that not all the media inclined in the same way. In fact i like discussing with british people about f1 because they are not just only f1 fan, but fan that knows how f1 rules, and give some objective and good opinion…i was also in italian and german chat and it wasn’t the same…
    But one point is true, the neutral of objectivity of some British media have lose in confront to Alonso…there is a interview in youtube of one british journalist and Max Mosley (in that time FIA president) wich he (the journalist) accuse f.alonso to be the cheater and not mclaren in 2007 spy story…so come on… Alonso was just a employer of Mclaren how could alonso stole the ferrari project???
    it was Mclaren clearly…also in hockenheim 2010 to agressiv in confront to alonso, yes i know that it was team order…but they were asking question like Alonso have killed someone…
    But the british people are clearly the bigest fan of formula 1. but some of them dont like alonso…not all sure

Andy Redden
    Participant

I was happily following this BBC list. If Vettel turns out to be ahead of Alonso I’m calling a riot. He as proven to be far superior this season, never mind seasons past.

Kingshark
    Participant

For instance, saying Alonso was unlucky with strategy in Canada, but Vettel wasn’t, when they had the exact same thing happen to them, is as clear a double standard as they come.

Actually, even if Vettel had pitted on the same lap as Lewis, he’d still have finished fourth. He was only 12 seconds ahead of Grosjean and judging the pace of the Lotus driver near the end of the race, I doubt he would’ve passed him even on fresher tyres. Alonso on the other hand, was catching Hamilton drastically, he had a fresh set of option tyres available for his final stint, and he even could’ve came out ahead of Lewis if he pitted one lap latter than him. Thus I have no doubt he would’ve won in Canada, while Vettel would have finished fourth either way. No double standards here, just saying.

As for this list, I think the final 9 will be something like this:
    1. Senna
    2. Schumacher
    3. Prost
    4. Fangio
    5. Clark
    6. Stewart
    7. Lauda
    8. Vettel
    9. Moss

raymondu999
    Participant

@Kingshark @mnmracer Yeesh get a room you two :P

We don’t need to see your lover’s quarrel. Or alternatively, you could just label each other as crazies and walk away from the argument in disgust? :P

Kingshark
    Participant

I want everyone to know that I still rate Vettel higher than Stirling Moss. :P

Although Brabham, Piquet, Ascari, and Alonso should be ahead of the pair of them.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 365 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.