F1

DRS Usage Rule

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve not made my mind up yet on DRS, some places it adds to the drama, other times maybe we rely on it to create drama (especially at Valencia). Something i am certain about however is the limitation of how long into a race before the chasing pack can use it.

Whether or not the FIA changed the exhaust blown diffuser rules to stop RB, this delay in usage is a big reason i feel of why Vettel gets an easy run at the victory. We take it for granted he will place it on pole, so why give him 3 laps to get out of the DRS zone of 2nd position.

I understand maybe not the first lap, because cars are really bunched up and could cause several drivers using DRS in the same area. However the field has spread out by the 2nd lap.

I think they should stop messing around with 2 DRS zones, and just initiate it from the beginning of the 2nd lap?

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Given that Vettel pulls away so strongly at the start I think his competitors would struggle even after 1 lap.

And the engine mapping ban wasn’t because of Vettel’s dominance but due to the engine being used as a moveable aerodynamic device.

Icthyes
    Participant

It is actually quite illogical at first sight. The DRS is supposedly there to counteract the aerodynamic wake, which doesn’t magically appear only on Lap 3.

The problem is of course that the guy ahead of you will probably get to use the DRS because they’re within 1s of someone else and even if you could give them an extra extra boost (you can’t) it would be potentially dangerous (4 cars heading to a corner, the furthest one back with massive closing speed!)

Also, if used from the get-go, it might be enough to keep a car within 1s when it shouldn’t be, which is artificial even for DRS and would perpetuate the problem I just described.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didnt say the exhaust ban was to stop RB, i just said i feel other options are in place.

Maybe yes there would be four cars going for the same turn at the beginning. However i have seen several races now where 3 were going down the DRS straight, and i havent seen massive accidents yet because of it.

Its not just at the beginning of the race that four cars could be within the DRS zone

Fair enough on the artifical-ness, but then the argument comes in about artifical racing altogether. Seen as we are stuck with it, why not change how it effects the rest of the race?

Icthyes
    Participant

My point wasn’t that they’d all be in the zone, but heading for the same corner at the same time – in my hypothetical crazy rules scenario that would never exist. That was bit confusing perhaps.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It is actually quite illogical at first sight. The DRS is supposedly there to counteract the aerodynamic wake, which doesn’t magically appear only on Lap 3.

I think the delay in activation is there to a) stop drivers from using it when everyone is bunched together and causing accidents, and b) stop complaints about overtaking being too easy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If he can pull away, that means he’s faster than the lot, it doesn’t matter if it’s on the 2nd or 3rd lap. Remember he’s the one that can’t use DRS for sure. If the rest can’t catch him, then they don’t deserve to overtake him, period.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

If you start allowing the guys from 2nd to 24th on the grid to use DRS immediately you’re basically penalising the pole sitter. He’s earned it.

Icthyes
    Participant

PM’s Point B is an interesting point, it would make the DRS’s image worse.

Good point LL. The first 2 laps are there to see who’s too fast to let someone use DRS. It’s only if the two drivers are close from the line and the guy behind is faster at the start than it becomes illogical to not have DRS, but there’s always Lap 3 in that case.

So um, keep things as they are!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.