F1

How have changes to F1 (safety) regulations affected how you view the sport?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Keay
    Participant

This is to aid my upcoming ESB exam so any answers will be greatly helpful.

James Brickles
    Participant

Well I’ve been following F1 since 2003 and generally speaking, safety changes haven’t significantly affected my viewing pleasure of the sport. The halo isn’t particularly nice and neither are the generously sized tarmac run-offs but they’re not the end of the world. The thing that most affected the way I viewed the sport was when it was announced that Sky had taken over as the main broadcaster leaving free-to-air with just half of the live races.

Jere
    Participant

No, they haven’t had any effect on me in regards to how I view the sport.

ECWDanSelby
    Participant

I guess to a very small degree, they have, mainly in terms of the run-off. When I first started watching in 97-98, you’d see the driver punished for making a mistake and having to unceremoniously bumble across the grass and gravel to try and make it back on track.

There’s no greater turn off for me personally than seeing the drivers lock their brakes in practice/qualifying, and simply cruise through the asphalt run-off area. It makes the drivers look so second rate, and the sport look too forgiving.

The grass and gravel added hugely to the unpredictability. If you go off now, you’re almost guaranteed to find a way back on.

Thomas Keay
    Participant

Ok, thanks for the help.

Thomas Keay
    Participant

Ok, thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.