F1

Who will be 2012’s Petrov, and will Alonso pass

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    tmekt
    Participant

It’s gonna be Kimi. Making sure he stays as the latest Ferrari WDC.

raymondu999
    Participant

@asanator to be fair the current ferrari seems to hate slow corners. Look at Abu Dhabi S3, Hungary and Singapore. Nowhere on entry, and nowhere on exit too.

Enigma
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Why do you think Webber and Alonso are friends? At least to the extent where one might gift the other one a position in a race.

raymondu999
    Participant

@enigma well both are friends. That much is a known quantity. Whether or not friendship will outweigh track position is something to be seen.

Having said that – I think another question to ponder is, who does Webber prefer to see winning the title? If Seb wins 2012 – his 3rd in a row, let’s not forget – that means that Webber is incapable of getting titles in a car that has proven to be able to take at least 3 titles – and in a roundabout fashion – it will be almost an admission of “uselessness.” (I don’t mean to be harsh on Webber, but I can’t find the right words at the moment)

Bottom line of my comment is – will Webber want to be remembered as the guy who took 0 titles, while his teammate in the same machinery took 3, and also knocked him out of title contention of the other one? If Seb doesn’t win 2012 then his score is “only” -2 as opposed to -3.

raymondu999
    Participant

@enigma well both are friends. That much is a known quantity. Whether or not friendship will outweigh track position is something to be seen.

Having said that – I think another question to ponder is, who does Webber prefer to see winning the title? If Seb wins 2012 – his 3rd in a row, let’s not forget – that means that Webber is incapable of getting titles in a car that has proven to be able to take at least 3 titles – and in a roundabout fashion – it will be almost an admission of “uselessness.” (I don’t mean to be harsh on Webber, but I can’t find the right words at the moment)

Bottom line of my comment is – will Webber want to be remembered as the guy who took 0 titles, while his teammate in the same machinery took 3, and also knocked him out of title contention of the other one? If Seb doesn’t win 2012 then his score is “only” -2 as opposed to -3.

mnmracer
    Participant

@raymondu999
    Well, what’s worst;
    * losing to a 3-time world champion
    or
    * losing to someone who just proofed ‘he can’t win without the best car’

Would you rather be known as the team mate who lost to Ayrton Senna, or the team mate who lost to Jacques Villeneuve? (and no, don’t go read into the examples)

raymondu999
    Participant

apologies @mnmracer – I don’t quite understand your post. But in response to your question – I’d rather lose to Senna.

mnmracer
    Participant

@raymondu999
    No problem.
    But yes, you’d rather lose to Senna.
    So would it not be in Webber’s best interest to help make Vettel look as good as possible by helping him become 3xWDC?

raymondu999
    Participant

@mnmracer Ah. Now I get what you’re saying.

I personally don’t agree though.

Would Webber prefer to be beat by a non-champion (because that’s what Vettel was, when he was pairing Mark) 3 times to the title?

Because that’s the important distinction that I think you’re missing out on – Vettel won his titles during his teammate-ship with Mark, not before.

If Vettel had established that he could beat SOMEONE ELSE 3 times – then Mark would play the expectations game and say that “it’s good to be beat by someone who is a 3 time wdc” – but he’s being beat by someone who is, for Mark’s intents and purposes – a non-WDC.

If they lost the 2012 title to Alonso – then 2012 becomes a year that you can compartmentalise as “the year you both lost the title to Alonso” – and not “the year I lost – again.”

I hope I’m making myself clear – my wording is a bit clumsy at the moment.

What you need to remember is that F1 drivers are all selfishly overconfident that they are the best – which by extension makes them insecure.

Kingshark
    Participant

Na, in 15 years from now we will not be looking at 2010 as Webber’s missed chance. Instead, we will perceive that season with an awe. How did Mark come so close to beating Sebastian in the same machinery? Mark must have been an incredible and underrated driver! And so on…

raymondu999
    Participant

@Kingshark Oh yes absolutely. But we’re talking about what we’re thinking of him now.

In the future 15 years from now – if Vettel will qualify as a great, one of the reasons would be his 3 titles. The 3 titles is already done, and qualifies him as a great.

Even today there is no shame in being beat by Vettel as a teammate, but IMO that’s not the psychology that will be going through Mark’s mind.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.