F1

Your first grand prix!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Apologies if this has been done before, I’m new here! Would be interested to hear of your first grand prix, and what you remember of it.

Mine was British Grand Prix 1988. I was 18, and it rained all day – caught a cold! But I didn’t care, as I saw my fave driver Senna win his only British Grand Prix. Mansell scored his first points of the year with 2nd (wasn’t happy about that, as I was never a fan of his!) My camera got waterlogged, having to change the film in my camera mid-race. Saw Luis Sala walk past me having retired in lap one crashing into Phillipe Streiff. Also saw Alex Caffi battling with an umbrella in the paddock!

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Mine was the 2005 British Grand Prix, back when I was 10! I remember David Coulthard breaking down in front of us in his Red Bull during practice and then I remember sitting on the start finish straight during qualifying, going mad when Button took provisional pole. For the race we were sat at Copse and I was an Alonso fan and had handmade an Alonso banner, which I held up during the drivers parade. He looked across and stuck his thumb up (it was definitely at me I tell you! Haha). Race was all right but not thrilling and I got confused at what laps everyone was on as I couldn’t really see the screen. Juan-Pablo Montoya won for McLaren (at the time I didn’t really like driver or team) and Alonso was only second from pole, which was a tad disappointing. I vividly remember some guy behind us blaring an air-horn right in my ear however, was very tempted to shove it somewhere! My mum fell asleep during the race at one point and I realised I’d much rather watch it on the telly, although now I’m older I wouldn’t mind going to another race just for the experience. At the time I thought the best bit of the weekend was the camping!

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

Mine was the British GP this year. I’d been to tests before, but this was truly fantastic. Got severely sunburned, but it was worth to watch Ricciardo get a podium and Button finish well too. Not to mention I waited on the track for him and was literally in arms reach of him on the other side of the fence.

Only downsides were the huge amount of Hamilton fans surrounding me really.

Oh and I’ll have to say that the noise of the engines is not an issue. Still sounded fantastic!

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

Mine was the 2011 Australian Grand Prix. Arrived at midday (5pm start) and there were plenty of support programs, entertainment, nice food, and so forth. Only problem I had was the Webber didn’t win xD

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

I’m also interested in flying up to Europe when I’m 18 (2016) for a race weekend, any pre-pre…-pre reservations?

Ben Needham
    Participant

I was 8 years old when I attended the 2000 British Grand Prix with my Dad and brother. It was such a surreal experience, having watched Formula One from (so I’m told) the age of 1 with my Dad!

It was Easter Day and my brother and I were kitted out with ear defenders, camping chairs and Easter eggs! The traffic was a nightmare but we still got good seats in time for the start and the traditional Red Arrows display.

David Coulthard won the race, but my main memory is Jacques Villeneuve in the BAR battling Ralf Schumacher in his Williams BMW before Villeneuve retired.

I still remember feeling utterly awed by it all, seeing the familiar cars so close up… even at that age I could tell my Dad which driver was which; including Mazzacane and Zonta.

The next Grand prix I got to following that was thee 2008 British Grand Prix… which was completely amazing!

matt90
    Participant

Only ever saw the 2008 Belgian Grand Prix- which was an interesting one…

Ben Saylor
    Participant

Mine was this year in Canada. I had a terrific time! It was so cool to be around so many fans of the sport. My wife and I sat in grandstand 34 (hairpin), and we loved the view. We arrived in time for FP2, and I’ll never forget the anticipation and excitement I felt as I saw the first car approach the turn. The race itself was certainly thrilling, especially once it became clear that Mercedes was in trouble. The only other racing we watched was the Masters HGP, which was fantastic; among the cars we got to see were a couple of Ferrari 312T5s, a pair of Williams FW07Bs, and a Lotus 77. It was an unforgettable weekend, and I hope to get to another Grand Prix as soon as I can.

Theo Parkinson
    Participant

My first race was Austin last year. The traffic was insane but we got to the track to see qualifying just in time and we were the first people there on race day. We sat at turn 12 which is where pretty much all the action happened. Highlight was watching the parade lap where Jenson’s car (can’t remember the model) couldn’t get up turn one and began rolling down. He jumped into Vernge’s car and then both cars began rolling down the hill. I also remember the Sauber stand, and next to it was a Schumacher legacy stand that was more than twice the size.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.